Thermal Expansion Tank / Heat trap nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I received many recommendations to install a thermal expansion tank. So I am planning on doing it on the cold line about 5' from the Water heater.
I just learned what a heat trap nipple is? This is what my Rheem water heater has.
I believe it acts as a sorta check valve and does not left hot water out of the cold water inlet?
My question is, should I remove the heat trap ball and install a TE tank? How does this work if I install a Thermal expansion tank and the WH has a Heat Trap nipple? Does this make any since, I am not totally sure if what I am saying makes since?

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is, should I remove the heat trap ball and install a TE tank? How does this work if I install a Thermal expansion tank and the WH has a Heat Trap nipple? Does this make any since, I am not totally sure if what I am saying makes since?
That was a good question, but no need to remove the heat trap. Those are not built to be tight the way a check valve would be.

James23912

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing, I read about the nipples and bought them, then started wondering the same thing, so a retired plumber told me they don’t really do much anyway so I didn’t use them, I guess I could have from what Reach says.

Reaction score
Well thank you for your input. I am replacing my existing heat trap as it is rusted from a small leak I have been resolving. So fingers crossed I can just put a pipe wrench on it and it budges. If not I have no other plan. lol. Thanks for the help. Wish me luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks