Thermal Expansion Bypass

Users who are viewing this thread

natalie1999

Reaction score
Hi,
Can someone explain to me how the thermal expansion bypass on a water pressure regulator works? Like, after the water heater shuts off, is the regulator supposed to readjust the pressure back down or what? I can't tell if we need to get an expansion tank.

The pressure went up to 95 after the WH shut off. The regulator is set to 45-50 static pressure. The pressure is now 55 after 20 minutes (someone may have used water during this time). I know the bypass only works if the pressure is higher than the mainline -- the mainline is supposed to be around 80 -- I'm confused. Help?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The PRV by pass will stop the house side pressure from rising when the house side pressure exceeds the street pressure...I am not positive but I believe not all PRVs have the by pass feature.

Example: your street pressure is 135 and you have a PRV set at 75 and you have a properly set expansion tank...the PRV fails...the house side pressure goes up to 135 and stops because any additional pressure will now bleed over, through the PRV, into the street...because it (the street pressure) is lower than the house pressure...

Yes you need an expansion tank...

If you call your water supplier and ask what the approx. water pressure is in your area they should be able to tell you...you can't guess...night time pressures can be much higher...With an inexpensive pressure gauge you can test it your self...

Last edited:

Wraujr

Reaction score
Watts N35B

The specs on a Watts N35B (a typical albeit obsolete design):
"This feature prevents downstream pressure from rising to more
than 10psi above the supply pressure"

Therefore if you think street is around 80psi, then 95psi is probably about right given that the 10psi is "typical" and you have gauge accuracy and you're not really sure of street pressure...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks