The Solution to having too much fall in DWV? with photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

weightoomuch

Reaction score
I could not plan out my pipe so that I had: less than 24" of vertical fall from fixtures to p-traps, and between 1/8" and 1/2" fall per foot on my main dwv pipe. Does this image look like an acceptable solution? https://i.imgur.com/kI8Iwxh.jpg What are your opinions? Have any advice regarding slope on the elevation change, more or less slope is better?

All of the changes in direction on the main dwv pipe are visible in this photo: 45, 22.5, 45, 22.5 for 135 degrees total. At this location I can't roll the wye and 45 to meet each other without the 22.5 fitting in the middle because there is a support pillar and concrete pad in the way.
If you are wondering, upstream is a bathroom horizontal wet vent. The thing you can see is a floor drain with an individual vent. The reducing wye is rolled way up to keep the fall from the drain to the trap under 24", and it is vented with a 2" wye because I had one.

Thanks, tell me if this all looks horrible!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you were a plumber, and even then you would have to be a good one, you would know about 60 degree bends, and Ys, and how to use them, which not all plumbers do.

It's major usage is to make a rolling 45 degree turn out of a "Y". You install the Y at a 45 degree angle from vertical, then install the 1/6 bend and it rolls the lateral at a 90 degree angle from the main line. It was a common thing in the old days, but I find very few modern plumbers who know about it or how to do it. That may be why I am one of the few, or maybe only, one who buys the 1/6 bends at the wholesaler. The distance from the Y to the centerline of the branch is equal to the vertical distance between them, and the center to center distance of the travel piece between the Y and 1/6 is twice that measurement. A secondary usage, but it would only be done when absolutely necessary because the 60's are more expensive than 45's, would be to make a more compact, shorter offset.

nibco-60-hub-hub.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

weightoomuch

Reaction score
Hey,

I read someone talking about this a while back, and didn't know what to make of it....
Your method sounds cleaner. I am not good nor a pro, I haven't seen a 60 bend yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you roll the branch of a "Y" or a 45 up at a 45 degree angle, it will fit directly into a 60 degree bend to make a line 90 degrees from the original pipe but at a higher elevation. The distance, center to center of the Y or 1/8 bend, will be EXACTLY two times the height fo the change in direction, and the center of the Y or 1/8 bend will be offset from the branch location EXACTLY the distance of the rise.

weightoomuch

Reaction score
Thanks! I just shot for rise and run being the same, for near 45%. Used a street 22 instead of the hubs 22 to make the fall continuous. Was a little painful. Was wondering about that qualifier, at 90 degrees or perpendicular... that was my wish.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks