The Right Choice for Drill Bit Size/Types

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a total idiot could you explain when you choose to use either the 3/8" spade or the pre installed arbor pilot bit?
Also, what is the diamond file for? Sharpening the hole saw teeth? Is there a "how to" on that somewhere? lol

I don't know why they include a carbide bit for the pilot. Its meant for concrete and doesn't drill thru wood for shit. I'd just toss it and replace it with a proper 3/8" wood bit. The spade is ok.. but more likely to get dull quicker.

The diamond file is used to sharpen the carbide teeth on the front facing edge only. Not on the top. You don't want to Shorten the bit by taking off the top edge.

There likely is a YouTube video out there, probably several and probably all contradicting each other! For me, sharpening bits was just something you learned to do as an apprentice to use your time when there wasn't something else to do.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There likely is a you tube video out there, probably several and probably all contradicting each other! For me, sharpening bits was just something you learned to do as an apprentice to use your time when there wasn't something else to do.

I once got an old 4-5/8" self feed from Terry Neagle that he was tossing. I took out my triangle file, sharpened it and it was like a new bit.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do NOT miss drilling 4-5/8 self feeds with the old clutchless hole hawg! Almost knocked myself out when that thing caught drilling a joist and my face was in the way of the handle.

I haven't seen that Terry in a long time. Used to run into him at Keller all the time.

index.php

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I do NOT miss drilling 4-5/8 self feeds with the old clutchless hole hawg! Almost knocked myself out when that thing caught drilling a joist and my face was in the way of the handle.

I haven't seen that Terry in a long time. Used to run into him at Keller all the time.

I ran into Terry at Keller Redmond just recently, working with one of his sons.
Alpha Omega Mechanical, Carnation WA

It was so nice when we got drills with clutches. For sure.

Thinking back, I'm thinking it must have been a 3-9/16"
Those were bad enough to drill with.

Last edited:

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a total idiot could you explain when you choose to use either the 3/8" spade or the pre installed arbor pilot bit?
Also, what is the diamond file for? Sharpening the hole saw teeth? Is there a "how to" on that somewhere? lol.

The reason for using a spade bit is it will work and is a lot cheaper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks