The "plumber" screwed up my tub overflow installation. Is there such a thing as a screw in gasket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Roxane

Reaction score
These are pics of my overflow installation. The screw in piece was covering the botched job and I didn't notice it until I was installing the trim pieces in my tub/shower. Any suggestions how I can salvage this to work as an overflow?

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 444

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess I haven't seen it all.

Are you referring to the fact that the overflow is not centered?

Question: How does any overflow water get to drain through this overflow when the screw cap is on?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok. Looks like some kind of Ikea POS. The screw-in plug looks like a throwaway alignment fitting. The gasket is always on the back side of the tub. Moving the overflow a half inch right or left to install the finish parts is usually not a problem. Up and down, not so much. The plumber got the hell out of Dodge just in time.

Roxane

Reaction score
I guess I haven't seen it all.

Are you referring to the fact that the overflow is not centered?

Question: How does any overflow water get to drain through this overflow when the screw cap is on?

Not only is it not centered, but the overflow plumbing pieces where the overflow trim is supposed to be screwed onto was never installed. There's only a cut off PVC pipe and it's sitting slightly back into the overflow cutout. So, I am thinking I will drill 4 small holes in that screw piece to allow water to drain through it's hollow body. The threaded part is hollow. I can snap the overflow trim pieces on afterwards.

Unless, there is something else I can use. I have searched overflow parts and see nothing that would work.

What was this guy thinking? What was his plan? He was a Master plumber. BTW - he died, so I can't call him to fix it.

Roxane

Reaction score
Ok. Looks like some kind of Ikea POS. The screw-in plug looks like a throwaway alignment fitting. The gasket is always on the back side of the tub. Moving the overflow a half inch right or left to install the finish parts is usually not a problem. Up and down, not so much. The plumber got the hell out of Dodge just in time.

The plumber did not install the gasket. It's only a cutoff PVC pipe and it's slightly recessed into cutout. It's also not centered. There is nothing to screw the overflow trim piece onto. I need a screw in gasket. I've looked, but find nothing. I am going to have to modify that throw away alignment piece to make it work like a screw in gasket.

As I posted above, the plumber died. I can't ask him to fix it.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The overflow of death. Might have killed me too. The four holes could work if that's a rubber gasket I'm seeing inside the cutout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks