The Inspector Rejected Our Shower Valve!

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: First, thanks to everyone for their input. Second, "srdenny"--What does the valve pictured above do?
And third, I got a line on a Price Pfister valve with two handles--The left one controls the flow and the right one controls the hot and cold, just like some have mentioned. But, and this is the big question: Will this satisfy the inspector? Is this an anti-scalding valve? Thanks again, Marty 1

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In all likelihood, that PP valve you mentioned IS a pressure balanced type. I think PP uses the trade name "scald guard" or something like that. Look for that lingo, or just look the model # up on their web.

The device pictured by srdenny is a pressure balancing valve. Instead of being inside your actual shower valve, it is located adjacent to the shower valve. It compensates for any fluctuation of pressure on the main hot/cold lines, and maintains a steady pressure on the inlets to the shower valve, so your temp mix doesn't fluctuate.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hot/cold

Without reading through the extensive replies, both Kohler and Grohe make inline balancing units that mount in the water lines ahead of a two handle faucet to give the necessary anti scald feature.

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: Ok, I asked the inspector, and here's what he said to use: 1. You can use a water balancing valve (like the one pictured from srdenny), with our two handled shower valve, but you gotta have an anti-scalding valve too. The two part unit I'm looking at is a TRB-1T - Pressure Balancing Valve w/PTMV-500 Mixing Valve. This is the way I understand it: When you're taking a shower and someone flushes the toilet, the pressure balancing valve evens out the water temperature, limiting the surge of hot water. The mixing valve, on the other hand, insures that the hot water delivered to the shower head doesn't go above a preset temperature. The Code wants the mixing valve used to guard against a young child (for example) getting scalded from turning on only the hot water shower faucet. This could happen with an "old fashion" two handled faucet like the one we installed. The good part is that the valves are easy to put in since we have Pex lines going to the shower. Marty

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: Just to let everyone know, the new valves cost about $100 retail, so that's not too bad to keep the two cross handles we originally installed. I'll keep you posted as to how it works. Marty

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks