The importance of water surface in the bowl and dimensions of the trap seal

Users who are viewing this thread

mitaine

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum, I am now almost decided on my choice for a new toilet. In deciding between the TOTO Drake and the TOTO Drake II, I am faced with three questions :
- since I change my actual 1,28 gpf toilet because it leaves to much strikes in the bowl and has a too small water surface, would the Drake be a better choice than the Drake II (the first has a water surface of more than 10 x 8 inches and the second has only 7 x 9).

-do I still need an insulated tank ? (only the model Drake offers it, I think) : I live on a farm and my water comes directly from a big natural source and is very cold. I always had an insulated tank for the toilet.

-I remark that the trap seal of the Drake model is bigger than the one of the Drake II, thow the trap diameter is the same. Does it influence any in the siphonic action ?

If the Drake II is the choice, would you go for the CEFIONTECT ? I ask because I just read an history on the forum where a lady had quite a problem with the gloss lifting.

Last edited:

mitaine

Reaction score
Wow ! I did not expect an answer so rapidly ! Many thanks Terry. I go for the Drake II with CEFIONTECT.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regarding the insulated tank questions, here are a couple of considerations. Condensation on low flow toilets is far less that on older water hogs. The reason is the tanks hold about twice the volume of water needed for a flush, and the volume of water is far less than the old models. So, start with a tank of water that has been setting for sometime. It has reached room temperature, so no condensation. Flush. Now you will use half of this warm(er) water. You refill water has been in the pipe for sometime and is not as cold are it came from the well, but is still rather cold. Now, this water will mix with the half tank of room temperature water, and remember, it is only about 1.6 gallons or less. So, unless you are having a big party where there is a line up of people to use and flush the toilet, the tank water will rarely, if ever reach the cold temperature that will cause condensation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tank size, I think, stays the same between most of the 1.28 and 1.6g flushes (the bowls are different), so there would be more 'hopefully' room temperature water in the 1.28g than the 1.6g to temper the incoming cold water. But, if the toilet is flushed repeatedly, the water in the tank would not have a chance to warm up, and it is very possible it could sweat. Being uninsulated does mean it would warm up faster and hopefully get above the dew point. Even with an insulated tank and cold incoming water...if the toilet is flushed often enough, it won't stop it from sweating.

JerryR

Reaction score
The tank size, I think, stays the same between most of the 1.28 and 1.6g flushes (the bowls are different),.

Bowls on the 1.28 and 1.6 gal Drakes are identical i.e. same part number.

Tank size look identical (other than the Eco logo on the 1.28 tank) but the inner guts (flapper etc) are different.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks