The dreaded Rheem flammable vapour sensor error

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob_McBob

Reaction score
I recently got my mum off a predatory water heater rental contract and set up with a brand new Rheem power vent model. Literally a month later she has no hot water and it's displaying the 7 flash FVS error code discussed in so many older threads on the forum. I've tried the reset procedure many times and it didn't work. I made another trip over there to measure the resistance of the sensor, which is way off at 350kΩ.

According to Rheem, the FVS can literally be set off by dust and humidity, and they won't replace it under warranty. She lives in an old house with a damp and dusty basement that gets a bit of water during heavy rain, but this sensor was never wet or exposed to any kind of flammable vapour. It feels like it will just be a monthly $50 replacement if that's all it took to permanently set off the sensor. Is it even worth replacing it, or should I just bypass it with a resistor?

mcbob-01.jpg

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com

Their is no way I would fool with seeing if the part is bad or not.... I am just too lazy to waste time
with this.... I would have just installed a new sensor and seen if I won or not.....

Fitter30

Reaction score
Their is no way I would fool with seeing if the part is bad or not.... I am just too lazy to waste time
with this.... I would have just installed a new sensor and seen if I won or not.....
Since he has a ohm meter and knows how to use it without having the info for the sensor it's a guess that it bad. Knowing that its showing 344k ohms and anything over 45 ohms is bad.

Last edited:

Bob_McBob

Reaction score
I ended up just ordering a 30kΩ chassis mount resistor which fit the spade connectors for the sensor perfectly, so it's permanently bypassed now. Knowing the environment in the basement, I'd be replacing that part on a regular basis, and it's not worth the time and expense.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Since he has a ohm meter and knows how to use it without having the info for the sensor it's a guess that it bad. Knowing that its showing 344k ohms and anything over 45 ohms is bad.

I have not used an om meter in decades..... totally clueless

Musasayed

Reaction score
I ended up just ordering a 30kΩ chassis mount resistor which fit the spade connectors for the sensor perfectly, so it's permanently bypassed now. Knowing the environment in the basement, I'd be replacing that part on a regular basis, and it's not worth the time and expense.
I searched in Canada but not finding the "30kΩ chassis mount resistor" could you please send me the link? Appreciated musasayed96@gmail.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks