The dishwasher and washing machine problem

Users who are viewing this thread

paul8028081

Reaction score
We have a Laars Combi tankless boiler which has served us well for the past few years. However with a growing family it really doesn't handle the washing needs well. As others have posted the water sensing/eco modes our clothes and dishwasher have really prevent them from ever receiving hot water because of the multiple short cycles they produce to maximize efficiency. Our work around has been to just run the water during the time each is filling up. I'm tired of doing this and with young kids always needing to wash their hands it would be nice to have hot water produced more quickly.

I looked up indirect tanks but while doing so noticed that a 50 gallon heath pump tank would actually cost me about $500 less because of all of the local energy rebates being offered. My father suggested we just put in a 6 gallon electric boiler in line of the tankless and right below the kitchen and laundry rooms (in the basement) to solve this problem. I have a mostly home run system so I can isolate what branch circuits get what boiler (I'd keep the showers on the tankless). I can install the tank entirely myself so my only cost is the material and tank if I went that route.

Here are my questions...

1. Does it make sense to pay $400 more for a 50 gallon heat pump electric tank (10 year warranty) v. A 6 gallon traditional tank (6 year warranty)? Based on my calculation they would probably use the same amount of power/cost per year

2. Should it be installed in line? I would rather not because no matter the amount of education I do with guests and family all of them are causing short cycling with hand washing and odd and end dishwashing. This would also continue the short cycling caused by the dishwasher and clothes washer.

Any insight is appreciated!

Stuff

Reaction score
Usually the energy rebates require you to have an electric water heater that is being replaced. Why not go with a traditional 50 gallon gas fired tank?

paul8028081

Reaction score
My gas supply line would need to be replaced with a larger size if I added another appliance on it, which is an added expense I don't want to have at this point. I'm on propane.

Rebate applies to new installs as well, just checked the rebate website.

Stuff

Reaction score
Go with the heat pump then to make everyone's life better. Note some of these are are fairly tall and also want to be in a semi-heated area.
Only put it in-line if your propane is cheap or you really need "endless" hot water. Putting in-line you might as well use a conventional tank as the combi will do most of the heating and the tank is mostly storage / maintaining temp.

paul8028081

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you. I'll double check the measurements to be safe, we have a 7 1/2 foot basement height and I insulated with rigid foam last summer, based on the temp range it wants to be within 45-80 degrees for optimal performance, which the basement should be within 95% of the time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A heat pump water heater will cool the area. So, if you have a/c use, putting it in living space might lessen the load on the a/c unit. They do make some noise, though.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A heat pump water heater takes heat out of the air to heat the water. If you have the heat pump in a heated or unseated basement that heat must come from somewhere. An unheated basement it will get so cold that there be little heat to extract in the winter months. A heated basement the heat comes from your furnance. Heat pump water heaters are good in the southern states where most of the time they are in garages that are usually very warm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks