The case of the possessed Rudd 50 gal tanks..advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

theprez1980

Reaction score
Hey All -

I swear the (2) 50 gallon water heaters I have are possessed. A little background:

1) There are (2) 50 gallon tanks configured in parallel (at least thats the term I heard used) as shown in the attached picture.

2) The tanks are 5 years old

3) Since the home purchase, the outdoor PVC tubes have dribbled water out occasionally. While the home was under warranty the builder assumed it was the T&P and changed both. Problem never went way but was occasional enough we didn't worry about it.

4) Fast forward 5 years later and we're ready to sell the home.

5) Had a plumber come out - he suggested adding an expansion tank, check valve and two new T&Ps - all for the low low price of $980 + tax. The work was completed about a month ago.

6) Problem is still present - spoke to a few plumbers and they suggested I check the pressure at the water heaters overnight with a "tattle tell" pressure gauge. The tanks never exceeded 65PSI.

7) Usually the drain tube associated with the water heater on the right is the culprit...but sometimes the tube associated with the water heater on the left also dribbles.

8) I don't believe it's a temperature issue as I've checked the temps using a thermometer and they don't ever exceed 140.

What else could cause this? I've drained the tanks several times...small amounts of sediment but nothing much.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 167
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks