The beginning of a copper repipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Gonzalez

Reaction score
hey everybody ,
I'm new to the plumbing world only have 2 yrs under my belt and still kind of confused on how a repipe begins what should I do first ?do I begin from the City meter up to the man of the house or do I go inside the house and run pipe and eventually connect to Main? Only been in one repiped so far but it was commercial building very freaking confusing we started from the water heater storage tank teed off on the existing line and rerouted from roof. But I want to know how big size houses are done thanks anybody

Wrenched

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your question is a bit confusing, though if you are in the plumbing world you should have journeymen you can go to to clarify what you need. Honestly, two years isn't that new.

It might be a little different up north, but here a "repipe" means replacing some or all of a building's piping, most often the hot and cold distribution system. A water service replacement is just called a waterline replacement. While "main" is sometimes used for the service, usually it means the city main before the take-off.

When we're replacing a service, we usually start with the hardest spots (generally the city connection, the building entry, and the system connection), and then work out the more flexible section in between. Repipes mostly start at the waterline entry point and go to the fixtures.

Whatever you're facing, there is only sometimes a single right way, but often a lot more wrong ways to get things done. Always talk to your journeyman or manager before getting in beyond what you are comfortable with.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
On new construction I start from the main, but on a re-pipe I do it either way, depending on how much time I have to do it while the water is off. If the house is occupied I start from the end users (faucets, toilets), then cut the water, remove old pipes and run new ones in the same holes, then connect at the main. This cuts down the time with no water to the minimum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks