Users who are viewing this thread

jgambill0712

Reaction score
Hi there,

So, I'm beginning to think that I'm experiencing a one in a million situation.... Lol.

Here's what we are up against.... Hopefully SOMEONE out there has had a similar situation...

We just moved in to a mobile home that was sitting vacant for 20+years. Drains were an issue from day 1 of us moving in. We have one bathroom(toilet, tub, and sink), and a kitchen (sink, no d/w), as well as laundry room (washer). At first, the kitchen sink drain worked but was slow, and the tub worked, we didn't try the washer drain, and the bathroom sink and toilet did not drain. As of now, the only thing that drains is the tub and laundry. My husband climbed on the roof and put a scope down the vent pipes. Over the kitchen he found a nest, cleared it, heard water draining, and moved towards the bathroom area. Over the bathroom there were two vent pipes, one larger than the other, and the larger one he hit water! The level of the water was above toilet level. I've talked to several people, some of them professionals that have be been in business 30 years... Nobody can explain it. Oh and to make things more complicated, the septic tank (according to the permit and plans from the county) was installed in 1981 and is located under concrete slab! ‍

If anyone can shed some light on this and maybe help us know how to fix this... My husband is amazing and can fix almost anything... We really appreciate any knowledge or guidance we can get! We're really in a bind here with nothing working!

Note: for a little while we could plunge the tub and get the toilet to slowly drain... But not anymore.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Run a snake down the vent that has water to start with, afterwards if you think you cleared it with the snake drag a hose up on the roof and flush the vent out, if the vent doesn't fill back up with water then your good. As far as the septic tank goes, look for a cleanout on the ground, if you ever have to pump the tank out you may have to cut a section of the concrete slab out then cut into the lid of the tank. I'm just guessing here because there isn't enough information. lastly, it's only plumbing and there is always a way.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
When you run water to test after snaking, be sure to have someone inside at to alert you to possible quick overflow if clog is not cleared.

jgambill0712

Reaction score
Run a snake down the vent that has water to start with, afterwards if you think you cleared it with the snake drag a hose up on the roof and flush the vent out, if the vent doesn't fill back up with water then your good. As far as the septic tank goes, look for a cleanout on the ground, if you ever have to pump the tank out you may have to cut a section of the concrete slab out then cut into the lid of the tank. I'm just guessing here because there isn't enough information. lastly, it's only plumbing and there is always a way.
Could the water in the vent cause everything else to not drain? I'm thinking about putting vents under the sinks and in the wall. What's your recommendation

Reach4

Reaction score
I would identify the lowest drain. That might be a shower or tub. Does that ever back up?

Either way, I would do what it took to get the septic tank pumped. There are probes that are made to be pushed thru the earth to feel for a septic tank. If the shower/tub gets backups, this gets more urgent.

Bad venting by itself does not cause a drainage problem by itself. Bad venting can cause odors by itself. Good venting can hide another problem.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Licensed Plumber here, while I definitely relate to your frustration, last I checked, my license doesn't cover profanely insulting someone I don't agree with.

Your response implies he has no right to reply or speculate at all.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
To the OP, I don't want to speak for Reach but I think what he was trying to imply is that standing water in your vent does not mean the root cause is a venting issue but rather a clogging issue. In other words, you probably have a clog, which is causing the vent to fill up with water, and both of those are causing your draining issue.

But just a guess from another armchair plumber.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're vent is full of water it is clogged. If you're drain is clogged the water you use will come back out of the lowest fixture drain opening and there will be no water in the vent. If the OPs vent isn't full of water like he said then this was just a waste of time.

Reach4

Reaction score
You need to get a life, I never heard you say you were a plumber. I've solved many draining issues because the vent was obstructed. There should never be water inside a vent. Every time I post something it seems you feel you have to contradict what I say, I DO THIS SHIT EVERY DAY FOR A LIVING. F-OFF ARMCHAIR PLUMBER.
I know I don't contradict you every time.

I expect you have seen me disclaim that I am not a plumber. I don't present my self as an authority, but I try to use reasoning. It usually corresponds to reality.

And I would be interested in hearing somebody show that a plumbing vent problem alone can cause bad draining to a sewer. I could see a septic system could be a case where you need a vent to move the water into the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks