Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Administrator + Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
The youtube links used to take like 1.2s to load, and they used 2.2mb every time it would load. ... I mean. Honestly, no one needs an entire youtube player until they click to activate the player. The hit to the load time is uncalled for. This change makes it so you see an image thumbnail of the youtube video, and it will only activate once you click it. Feels a lot faster.

Last edited:

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Testing image load times...
feature_21.png
feature_06.png

Attachments

• feature_08_lg.png
    feature_08_lg.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 90

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Basically the forums load really quickly. Checking site analyzers, it's almost entirely Google AdSense that takes up the bulk of the site load time. The site still loads in like 1.5s, but an entire second of that is from Google AdSense. Also noticed that the SSL TLS handshake was taking a solid 120ms. That can be sped up by using OCSP stapling.

OCSP_Stapling.png

For a normal TLS handshake your browser talks to the server, and says "Who are you, what's your secret key?" The server then replies, "Oh it's this key right here." Client says, "Alright. Let me verify this. Let me check with the central server." So the central server replies with the other side of the key. Every single user has to do that same step. Why not have the server cache the value and send it along with the other responses? Seems easier. Saves everyone a trip. So that is what OCSP stapling does. Maybe it will save 80ms.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks