Testing pH after soda ash installed

Users who are viewing this thread

H22lude

Reaction score
Just had a soda ash system installed to raise my water pH. From the ground is hangs around 5.5. When they installed the system, they put the soda ash pump setting at 60. They came back a week later and it was too high so he bumped it down to 55. I just tested the pH with a MW102 and it was still close to 9 so I brought it down to 45. How long do I need to wait for this new setting to fully mix into the water throughout my plumbing before I can test for a pH change?

Edit: the pump is chemtech pulsafeeder 100

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You are testing the cold water, I presume. I would think 30 gallons is enough if your pressure tank is not bigger than 44 gallons and the water you are testing does not also go through a softener. If there is a softener in the path, I would add maybe 25 gallons for a 10 to 12 inch diameter softener.

I don't have a number for you, but I expect your next change will be lower still. The pH is not linear. I am guessing you might end up at something closer to 10 with your solution at its current strength.

The other thing longer term may be that you put less soda ash or more water in your solution tank, rather than doing it all by cranking down the number.

You do check your pH meter into a buffer salt solution made with a packet and distilled water, right?

Last edited:

H22lude

Reaction score
Yes, cold water from my kitchen sink. No softener. Just two big blue filters post soda ash tank.

Yeah I was thinking about using less soda ash but if I can get the pump setting right with the current soda ash:water ratio, I'll do that. It is just easy to remember, 1 full scoop per 5 gallons of water.

Yes I calibrate my pH meter but right now I only have 4.01 and 7.01 for brewing. Which I would think would be ok once the pH gets down to that range but since it is higher I'd like to calibrate using 7.01 and 10.01

H22lude

Reaction score
This is a 35 gallon tank. Yeah that's true. I was thinking more of it being 3/4 a scoop for every 5 gallons. It could be 1 scoop for 10 or 15 gallons. Is having a low setting bad for it? Wouldn't that mean I have to fill it less? I assume the settings just means it pulls less solution?

Reach4

Reaction score
This is a 35 gallon tank. Yeah that's true. I was thinking more of it being 3/4 a scoop for every 5 gallons. It could be 1 scoop for 10 or 15 gallons. Is having a low setting bad for it? Wouldn't that mean I have to fill it less? I assume the settings just means it pulls less solution?
I have no experience with injection pumps. Can you find an accuracy specification? If it is in percent of full scale, then that tolerance would be relatively bigger at the lowest settings.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Recommend reposting this topic in the Water Softener forum as that forum often addresses water treatment concerns.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks