Testing a New Bath in the Basment

Users who are viewing this thread

Jacob Robinson

Reaction score
I have added a new bathroom in the basement I am finishing and I was wondering when testing for leaks in the supply lines is it just as effective to do by turning water on, or should I take the time to build an adapter to be able to test with air? If air is the correct way will it work when the rest of the house is all finished with fixtures installed. Or any other ideas would be great. Thanks for your input.

-Jake

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I have two questions,what type of pipe and is it valved off from the rest of the house?
If the walls are still open I would go ahead and pressurize it with water,but you can do an air test too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have a leak and you test with water, the pipe will have to be taken apart and redone. If you use air, you MAY be able to resolder it, although it would be a toss up whether it made a "good" joint.

Jacob Robinson

Reaction score
It is copper, and it is not valved off from the rest of the house, where i am tying into the rest of the house will eventually be covered with drywall so I did not want to put a valve on then close it up. I am plumbing it all in opposite the flow of water, so that I can do all the fitting and sweating and only have a couple joints to do before I have to cut into the supply to the rest of the house. (minimal down time for the house)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks