testing 3 wire pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by bordercollie050, Mar 30, 2015.

1. bordercollie050

bordercollie050 Member

My control box looks shot and I'd like to test the pump before pulling it.

Can I directly connect a 220 volt line to the pump wires? I have 4 wires (red, black, yellow, and green). I know this isn't like a stove with 2 hots and a ground

pump is 3/4 hp

ideas?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. craigpump

craigpump In the Trades

Self employed water system tech
    No you can't, a three wire pump needs a control box.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. bordercollie050

bordercollie050 Member

If I buy a control box, will it still work if I don't have a pressure switch on the line yet?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Yes, but you want the pump in water. You might put it into an open barrel or a tall garbage can and run the pipe back into he garbage can. You might want to check if somebody thinks that would be a problem by not offering enough backpressure. I have never done it.

6. bordercollie050

bordercollie050 Member

I want to test the pump before pulling it - (the piping looks pretty old otherwise I wouldn't bother pulling the pump).

Anyhow just purchased a new well controller that will arrive in a few days.

thanks!!