Test 2 wire pump

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Hi, we've had record lows here and I thought my pipes froze at the well head, but now I'm leaning towards the pump is burned out. I've had heat tape and used my heat gun for 2 days.

Can you test a 2 wire pump? I disconnected the pump wires at the well head and tested for continuity between the 2 wires (not the ground), and got continuity. Seems like that is supposed to show a resistance since it's connected to the windings. If I show continuity between the 2 wires can I assume the pump is bad?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
With maybe 5 or 10 ohms across the wires of a good pump submersible, it is hard to distinguish that from a short circuit that with many ohmmeters. Resistance for a jet pump is probably even less, since they are usually higher HP pumps.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the pump ran for any length of time when the piping was frozen, it can damage the pump motor, and even the well casing.
The best way to test is to measure the current draw of the motor if it will run, and compare it to the published specifications.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A better test would be to see what the amp draw is.

Why not just pull the pump up a few feet, wire it back up and turn it on?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks