Terry...would you tackle this one??

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I go out to give an estimate to a plantation house built in 1840 then added onto in 1863, then added plumbing into in 1918... He wants to tear out these 3 toilets and install tank type units.... Just wondering Terry if you are crazy enough to tackle this one??

I would have to somehow pull that 100 year old nipple out of the wall then reduce it to 1/2 inch and he does not want the walls damaged... of course this is on the second floor and once you are in it then you are in it for better or worse...

This is probably the first one of these I have ever come across, maybe seen one 40 years ago , but not sure.... I have other pictures of the tub faucets he wants repaired too...

mark-12.jpg

mark-13.jpg

I managed to download the pictures and posted them to this site. Terry Love

mark-17.jpg

CRANE SANETO

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
The sinks are gonna be torn out and replaced with new pedistles but I have
never seen a faucet in the wall tied in underneath to the sink before...
found out it was an old soft water system in the house for cold water--this house must have been considered a palace back in 1918

The tub faucets and single handle crane faucet above it are another can of worms
that I dread touching

mark-10.jpg

mark-11.jpg

mark-15.jpg

mark-16.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't see the pictures either, but it sounds like a project I would only do with a well documented contract that spells out the risks associated with attempting repairs which could necessitate opening of walls at the owners expense.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you make money on it? Are you busy? If its an existing customer its hard for me to say no . but I turn down work sounds dumb but I do, been doing this awhile and close to hanging it up, but still can use the money and love this trade.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That tub filler is already a cross contamination risk. the tub and valve should be replaced... None of that tile is original so its not period correct so not a lot of value lost if it needed replaced and they're painted with rolled on latex paint.. You're likely going to run into lead bends which we always require replacement or zero warranty. Those flushometer nipples are a problem.. Maybe instead of pulling the nipple, install a 1" chrome ell and an angle stop in a bushing pointed down.. it won't look any more dumb than an angle stop stubbed out of the wall 20" above the floor.. Actually, install a Tee there with a cap on it to use as a TP holder and now it has a purpose for sticking out of the wall.

That is a No Go for me. Crazy expectations.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm with Doug, unless you have a contract to protect yourself, I wouldn't touch it. None of that is worth you taking the risk for it.
I remember working on one old vacation cottage in Bellevue, very, very old. Built when Bellevue was in the middle of nowhere. The bridges across Lake Washington hadn't even been thought of. They did have ferry service between Mercer Island and South Bellevue, and there was also ferry service from Kirkland.
I was trying to repair a leak and pipes were snapping. I was trying to get back to a fitting that didn't break so that I could thread something in. The homeowner, knowing nothing about plumbing, and that pipes are not a "forever thing" was blaming me for "making" the job bigger.
Hey lady, Nope, I just want to finish and get out of here.

I have done work on some Seattle homes where the general contractor gutted the place, rebuilt the foundations, jacked up sagging floors and restructured the place. New drywall and tile everywhere. I totally replaced all of the plumbing on those. I don't do those big jobs like that anymore. Now they are more likely to tear those down and build something more modern.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see pictures now? pretty cool fixtures I love that old stuff . kinda hate working on it as far as to make money . I like tinkering with it to a degree but can't seem to get the money I want to make working on it.
I'd pass too!

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Hey Mark,
Someone else has the same question.
Side mount toilet supply.

toilet-with-side-mount.jpg

you know that this is probably worse than the one I was looking at.... does not look like the
sloan valve and the fittings line up at all..... what fun this would be... was the bowl moved some to get them apart??

b
e

Fitter30

Reaction score
I'm sure that there are company's that specializes in period correct tile and grout. All it takes is lots of money. Somebody is restoring all these museum quality hoses and working with 100 + year old pipe might not be the best way.

old-school-toilet-oconnor.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks