Terrible stink in Hot water only in New Water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmgolob

Reaction score
I asked a follow up question in and older thread, but the title didn't fit the issue so posting here as well.

New water heater last spring.

Rheem PRO + G75 - 76N RH
https://www.rheem.com/product/profe...r-with-8-year-limited-warranty-pro-g75-76n-rh

Purchased and installed the Warranty Extension Anode kit.

The hot water smells terrible. I know the normal statement is its smells like rotten eggs (H2S) but I say its more like rotten garbage. Some days unbearable. Showers stink up the whole house.

By simply turning on and off the hot and cold outlets, its definitely only in the hot water.

Do I remove the anode rod? If so, do I just resign to the fact of premature failure?

If I remove the anode, can I simply drain and refill or will I need to sanitize the Heater - If so, how.

Answers / suggestions / comments / ideas???

Thanks in advance

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't read the other thread,but. Turn your heat up to 140. That should kill whatever is growing in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks