Terminology long sweep tee-wye versus combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello ,
I'm trying to get to the bottom of what appears to be an elusive subject on code compliance and industry jargon.
Specifically, I want to know what Nibco cast DWV Tee-Wye fitting(s) (if any) will satisfy the code requirements wherever a "Tee-Wye fitting with an eight-bend, or combo fitting or other satisfactory fitting(s) ...." is called for.(for example : Nibco Long Turn Tee-Wye
PN # 812- {2"}
PN # E145150
PN # 039923504487 ) ?

There is much debate about whether a 'long sweep tee-wye' is the same rad as a 'tee-wye with an eighth-bend fitting or when a "combo" is used.
There even seems to be some disagreement about whether .79 rad meets the same criteria and code compliance as rad 1.05.
Does a Nibco long sweep Tee-Wye fulfill the code compliance for the equivalent under the Tee-Wye plus eight bend fitting or combo or similar ..." ?
If so what is the advantage or reason to use a 'Tee-Wye with an additional eight-bend fitting when the labor and material costs and physical displacement would be higher than with one fitting.
Is a Nibco Long Turn Tee-Wye
PN # 812- {2"}
PN # E145150
PN # 039923504487
really a 'combo' fitting in disguise ? If so is there a reason it's not referred to as such in the product description or support literature or discussed on this forum ?
I did look here with differant key word searches but have been unsuccessful thus far.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Richard

Dutchess County New York

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I started in plumbing stocking the shelves with fittings.
A combo and a long turn tee wye are the same fitting, and used the same way.

Being used to stock shelves I found very funny. I had been a mechanic since 9th grade working in bike shops, had rebuilt car engines and tranny's. After six months they let me plumb and two years later they were asking me layout questions for their jobs. I was born to do this kind of work.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Terry is born to plumb! The reason we prefer to use a wye and street 45 (1/8th bend) over a combo, two fittings vs. one is the former allows us flexibility. We can roll the wye slightly and the street fitting. Seldom do things line up perfectly in the real world, no matter how hard you try, and our work will look better, and the installation will be easier. Also this fitting is commonly used on a horizontal to horidontal change of direction; so we can roll the branch and promote better drainage. At least that's why I prefer a wye and 1/8th bend over a combo.

Reaction score
Thanks for the straight answer and contextual information , Thanks Terry Love for existing so that too this forum is here for all in need.
Thanks to both of you for your time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks