Terminating an Indoor wire in an outdoor Junction Box

Users who are viewing this thread

thevictors51

Reaction score
I have a switch inside that controls one light inside by the basement sliding door (like a security thing to make it seem like someone is home).

I am planning on getting rid of it and wiring a switch to a junction box outside to control some outdoor lights that we would install in the future.

So my question is, what to I need in order to route the wire from inside to an outside junction box?

The Plan:

The current wire is close to my desk overhang, I plan to drill a hold in the rim joist and just terminate the wire in a junction box. The junction box itself will sit exposed to the elements underneath my deck.

The deck is a second level deck (I have a basement walkout with the sliding door under the deck).

I know I need different wire design for outdoors and outdoor rated junction boxes and conduit. Is there anything else I am missing? Anything I should be aware about in code?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks