Tenzo shower valve. Why is my shower mixer plumbed like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Muzza90

Reaction score
Hi all. I wonder if someone could tell me why, on my shower mixer installation, it is fitted with a T fitting for the pipes going into the mixer rather than hot (or cold) just going straight into the mixer? Where does the hot pipe go that goes down?

Picture attached of the hot side (but cold is the same set up I think).

This picture was taken during installation and now it is behind tiles so I can't see where the hot pipe ends, or how. The white is the outlet for the bath tap. Thanks for any advice.

2020-10-07 15.39.32.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I did find this. The valve looks to be either a two or a three function. With two, you cap off on outlet.
Hot comes in at the left, cold comes in at the right. That part is pretty standard.

tenzo-three-function-valve.jpg

The red line that has the tee, either goes onto something else, or perhaps it was capped, but secured to blocking to help support the valve.

Muzza90

Reaction score
I did find this. The valve looks to be either a two or a three function. With two, you cap off on outlet.
Hot comes in at the left, cold comes in at the right. That part is pretty standard.

tenzo-three-function-valve.jpg
Thanks very much Terry, that makes sense. I can leave it as it is, presuming it was capped properly - and I have no reason to think otherwise.

As a plumbing newbie, why would that even be there if it’s just a capped end?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks very much Terry, that makes sense. I can leave it as it is, presuming it was capped properly - and I have no reason to think otherwise.

As a plumbing newbie, why would that even be there if it’s just a capped end?

Looking a second time, there is a hole there. I'm guessing a 90 with the pipe heading over to the side we can't see. Perhaps that's feeding another fixture out of the picture.

Muzza90

Reaction score
Looking a second time, there is a hole there. I'm guessing a 90 with the pipe heading over to the side we can't see. Perhaps that's feeding another fixture out of the picture.
Thanks. I just don’t get it. There’s no other fixture to go to over there, it’s the corner of the house, and only the drain is under there. Would there be a need for extra hot water to drain, that seems very weird to me but it’s all I can think of?!

Muzza90

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. We can't see why, but there must be a reason it was done like that.
Thanks Terry, appreciate you taking the time. Great forum here, not easy getting answers elsewhere for what should be a simple thing - to people who know what they're doing!

I'm attaching what it looks like currently, for better context. I'm planning on re-attaching the hot water to the hot pipe where it was cut, that's more the reason I was wondering what happens further down that pipe (which is still behind tile), to make sure it was just as simple as reattaching the supply and getting the mixer working again.

(They were cut like that to move them away from the wall, which is an exterior wall and were freezing this winter in the arctic they call Montreal.

2022-02-14 20.40.25.jpg

Muzza90

Reaction score
I just discovered with the help of a wire cam that both hot and cold pipes go down, and then are just capped off at the bottom, they don't go anywhere.

I can obviously just leave them but why would the plumber have put in dead ends like that, is there any theoretical reason? It can't have been easier.

2022-02-15 19.29.51.jpg

2022-02-15 19.30.10.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks