Ten inch rough.

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
A question for the hands-on people, how often do you run into a situation where a ten-inch rough-in toilet is needed?
I'll follow up with the whys and wherefores later.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I need a 10" rough toilet maybe 5% of the time.
It may be that the plumber had to miss a joist, the framing to the slab is a bit off, or a thicker wall was added later.
Everybody makes a 10" in their lineup. Some do that by making a thin tank, and some by changing the bowl. Caroma has a 270 bowl that swivels the adapter to make it 10" to 12". TOTO has some models that come with a 12" Unifit adapter, which can be replaced with either a 10" or a 14".
The Cadet uses a thin tank, as does Gerber.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've installed maybe five in twenty-five plus years. It's not something I think about much.

Had a customer with quite a bit of plumbing for me, upgrading several bathrooms. They had purchased the Totos well in advance, one of the skirted models that require the cleats, with the screws going in through the sides. First two went fine, the third one went upstairs in a bathroom I hadn't seen before. I did all the prep work and tried to install the toilet, but it would not fit. I checked the dimensions and yup, it needed a ten-inch rough toilet.

Lately, they called and said they had the ten-inch in hand, and wanted me to come back and install it. For free. I told them no; if I had purchased the wrong toilet, it would be on me. Since they bought the toilet it's on them. She called back several times and got the same answer.

Ordinarily I might have had a little more sympathy for them, since they were not aware of the dimension issue either, but add to the fact that I had to pile tools in the bathroom doorway to keep her from coming in and pestering me to death through the whole job. Her husband was a world class micromanager also.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We sell and replace toilets all the time. So............Sometimes we will ask them to pull a tape and measure first.
At any rate, because we do this all the time, before the new toilet comes out of the box, we check all the measurements first. This is mainly because even though it's so rare, at the rate we're doing them, it's often.

Isn't it more when they watch? :) Piling the tools in front of the door. Funny.
Some watch to learn, and some watch thinking we may need their advice. Nope. Never need it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks