Tempra 24 Keeps tripping high limit

Users who are viewing this thread

mike kerney

Reaction score
So, my mom has a Tempra 24 that keeps tripping the high limit switch. She called a plumber, he came out three times, says problem is that the screens were never flushed so sediment built up in the system and caused damage. Cleaned one screen first time, and 2nd screen on third visit to try and fix. Says system has to be replaced. I went there for the third visit, and I didn't get a good vibe from him, felt like a mechanic that tries to sell you something because you don't know whats what.

My thing is, I realize that if there is sediment that can lead to flow issues which will throw the switch, or can damage internals, but it is tripping even if the water is off. For example, I went today and reset the switch to try something, and immediately with no faucets turned on and no water flow, the heating module kicked on and ran until it threw the switch again. Is it possible it's a flow sensor issue or control board issue? Or even something else that could be causing it. The heater is about 8 yrs old.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the flow sensor is telling the thing it needs to heat water and there's no water use, it will overheat rapidly, so yes, it could be a flow sensor, or the control board.

B

Brock2621

So I am having this same issue. One of the high limit switch’s is tripping and I have to keep resetting it to take showers.

I’ve descaled it this past week, and I just replaced the flow sensor yesterday and it’s still tripping after no hot water runs for about 15 mins, I hear it trip.

Any ideas?

Fitter30

Reaction score
So I am having this same issue. One of the high limit switch’s is tripping and I have to keep resetting it to take showers.

I’ve descaled it this past week, and I just replaced the flow sensor yesterday and it’s still tripping after no hot water runs for about 15 mins, I hear it trip.

Any ideas?
Sensor surface or insertion? Have you measured water temp in and out? If you look up the gpm and temperature rise can measure flow with a 5 gallon bucket and a stop watch your phone probably has one

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks