Temporary water leak inside when water heater starts

Users who are viewing this thread

K9mlxj

Reaction score
Hi,

I come across my 40 gallon GE gas water heater (more than 10 years old) pilot light going out a couple of times. When I re-lit the pilot light and turned on the water heater afterward, I'd always hear water drip sound inside the water heater -- until water heated up in the tank. Then the water dripping stopped.

Water is hot when heated up.

Is this normal?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's probably condensation. Once the tank starts to get warmer, less heat is drawn out of the flue gasses, and it stops condensing on the cold walls of the internal heat exchanger. This is probably more likely if the WH is in a cooler location verses heated space as the difference in temperature won't be as great and the flue gasses don't cool off as much.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
At 10 years old, I would start putting money aside in a jar labeled "New WH", but still use this one till it dies.
Just hope it doesn't die in the middle of an important shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks