Temporary power panel

Users who are viewing this thread

JamesT.

Reaction score
I'm putting together a temporary power panel (on a hand truck for portability) to provide electicity while I build my house. The service entrance will eventually be underground. I will hook my cable up to the box on the temporary power pole, but I fear that my 100 foot cable will disappear in the night. I need a way to plug and unplug my power. Are there plugs and sockets for 4-4-4-6 cable? The ones I see seem to have 2 connections and possibly ground.

JamesT.

Reaction score
Pricey.

I think you meant PRICEY!!! It would be cheaper to replace the stolen cable. I'm going to check out RV receptacles and plugs. Not sure if they would accommodate the wire size, but they go up to 50 amps (60 for plugs, 50 for receptacles, go figure). Thanks for the info, though.

Reach4

Reaction score
NEMA 14-60 , without locking, is cheaper, such as Leviton 9460. I see a plug on an auction site for $20.

NEMA 14-50 50-amp is cheaper still. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=279&section=42418 for example, says it takes up to #4 AWG. There are pre-made range power cords with that connector.

But the RV setup sounds good. That might be NEMA 14-50.

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/Midwest-U054-Unmetered-Power-Outlet/98383 says it takes up to #4 stranded but only #6 solid.

Last edited:

JamesT.

Reaction score
Reach4...

The Leviton stuff is a lot cheaper. It looks like the RV stuff would run me less than $40 for receptacle and plug. I'll run by an RV supply and see if everything matches up. A semi-permanent pigtail in the box and a plug on the end of my cable and I should be set. I'm moving to Hawaii--which is not cheap--and every dollar saved is important.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks