Temporarily moving gas water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrkev

Reaction score
Hi, I need to work on my wall behind my water gas water heater. I want to move it about 4ft temporarily. My plan was to turn water and gas off, let it cool, drain, move, temp. Install longer vent, pex supply lines, and longer gas flex. Any other tips for me?

Reach4

Reaction score
(edit: confused first paragraph removed)

I would take the opportunity to flush the WH of sediment. I would also consider swapping the anode, but that would probably take an impact wrench.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PEX (water) supply lines can't be within the last 18" of the WH connection (and should stay clear of the vent/chimney)...you must either use metal flex lines, or hard pipe it with copper. The only other gotcha you might have is if you cannot maintain the proper slope of the gas vent line...it depends on how tall it is, and where the vent line currently runs relative to the top of the WH. In a garage, you need to protect the thing from being potentially hit, and if it isn't a newer version with the FLIR (?) mods, it needs to be up off of the garage floor. If you're required, you might need earthquake straps, even if it is only temporary. There might be more that I'm not aware of.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did one for a customer last year. About a four foot move. Time and effort involved cost the same as a w/h replacement at my rates. Moving it back not included. Yep, surprised me too. Buy the crimp tool, forget the plumber. Sorry, guys.

Mrkev

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! My vent wont be an issue as the ceiling has been removed so I just need to rearrange the sections a bit. Ya a bit of a pain. If it was up to me, I would just leave it disconnected for a few days while I did my work, but the wife........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks