Temporarily Bypass Expansion Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

dcallaway

Reaction score
Hi there. I’m in Texas and we’re clearly unprepared to deal with the insanely cold weather we’ve had the last week. My tankless water heater is on a closed loop system and has an expansion tank. It froze and the ice burst it (ironic for an expansion tank, right?), and today it finally thawed and started gushing water.

I was able to turn off the valve to it so it’s no longer shooting out water. But now I’m wondering if I can temporarily use the hot water heater until a plumber can come out and replace the expansion tank. It could take a week or so, I imagine. The other hot water heater we have for the house has a split in one of the copper lines so it’d be great if we can at least get one going.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The expansion tanks were to mainly protect water heater tanks. You have a tankless. I would not worry about it.
We had about 10" of snow in the Seattle area this last weekend. I try to go skiing at least once a week during the Winter here.

austin-tx-2019-01.jpg

Austin Texas in 2019, my last visit there.

austin-tx-2019-02.jpg

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the tank was full of water then it was likely already bad. With a tankless system, there is no significant expansion so the tank should have been empty.

flexcon-ph1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dcallaway

Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate it! We got about 6 this week, which is the most I’ve ever seen and I’ve been here 20+ years.

The expansion tanks were to mainly protect water heater tanks. You have a tankless. I would not worry about it.
We had about 10" of snow in the Seattle area this last weekend. I try to go skiing at least once a week during the Winter here.

austin-tx-2019-01.jpg

Austin Texas in 2019, my last visit there.

austin-tx-2019-02.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks