Tempering Tank in Crawlspace

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I am hopefully going to be using a small lowboy tanked water heater in a very small dwelling unit I am building in the spring. I backed off of tankless due to the fairly low temperature of incoming water. My hope is that I can fit the lowboy under a kitchen counter or perhaps even put it in a conditioned 40" crawlspace (that would be ideal but I don't know if the AHJ is going to allow it). I just read about some folks using a tempered tank to perhaps allow the water to come up to room/ambient temps to reduce the Delta T required by a tankless unit...

Here's a link to one of the tempered tank units I read about:

https://www.flexconind.com/products/well-tanks/flex-lite-fls-and-flu-well-tanks/

I'm wondering if maybe putting one of these in the crawlspace could be more of a code-compliant solution to DHW for a very small space (12'x16' with a loft).

Anyone ever use one of these NON-INSULATED tanks as a buffer to increase the probability of a successful tankless installation?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the delta T, the tank could take hours to rise to the ambient temperature, and once you start adding new cold, it might affect how well the tankless system could produce hot water.

If you don't have natural gas or propane, a tankless system should not be in the running at all. If you're going to heat with electric, then a tank is your best bet, otherwise, you have to deal with the flue and potentially, makeup air for the burner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks