Temperature fluctuations shower

Users who are viewing this thread

2002sheds

Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m a bit stumped by this one… we have a second “cottage” on our property that is heated via a Noritz tankless heater. The shower is the furthest away from the water heater, and the bathroom sink just before the shower (and on the same plumbing) is showing no issues with temperature fluctuations.

The “cottage” is downhill of our house (on the same water supply) and there has been an issue with grit in the fixtures. I clean the shower head about twice a year and have removed the screen/aerator from the two sinks — kitchen and bath. I also installed a fine mesh filter where the water comes into the building, but there may be plenty of grit already in the plumbing already…

I will pull the shower head again to make sure there is no change without the shower head, but in the meantime I am wondering if the fairly new (and somewhat infrequently used) Moen single handle mixing valve could accumulate grit, or if that is unlikely…

As always, any and all help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m a bit stumped by this one… we have a second “cottage” on our property that is heated via a Noritz tankless heater. The shower is the furthest away from the water heater, and the bathroom sink just before the shower (and on the same plumbing) is showing no issues with temperature fluctuations.

The “cottage” is downhill of our house (on the same water supply) and there has been an issue with grit in the fixtures. I clean the shower head about twice a year and have removed the screen/aerator from the two sinks — kitchen and bath. I also installed a fine mesh filter where the water comes into the building, but there may be plenty of grit already in the plumbing already…

I will pull the shower head again to make sure there is no change without the shower head, but in the meantime I am wondering if the fairly new (and somewhat infrequently used) Moen single handle mixing valve could accumulate grit, or if that is unlikely…

As always, any and all help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David
Yes if the cartridge has grit in it that will cause temp fluctuations.

2002sheds

Reaction score
Maybe this solved…? I pulled the shower head and cleaned a small amount of grit and hard water deposits from the rubber “nipples”. Seems to not fluctuate anymore…

David

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi John,
Thanks! I’m sorry I missed your reply the other day.
I will search the internet for the way to disassemble the valve and check the cartridge.

Thanks Again,
David
Depending on the cartridge you might have to replace it. If the balancing spool has junk in it, it may never function right again. Then again its worth trying to clean.

You might think about a sediment filter strategically placed if sediment is an ongoing problem.

2002sheds

Reaction score
Depending on the cartridge you might have to replace it. If the balancing spool has junk in it, it may never function right again. Then again its worth trying to clean.

You might think about a sediment filter strategically placed if sediment is an ongoing problem.
Hi John,
Thanks very much! With the time spent pulling the cartridge, it may be best for me to assume that I will need to replace it.
And I have a fine mesh filter that I installed where the water comes into the building, but I think a filter that is more specific to this line is a great idea.

Thanks,
David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks