Temp Fix for Leaky Roof

Users who are viewing this thread

SpudMuffin

Reaction score
I had part of my roof replaced as it was sliding off. Where it met the upper roof there was a valley. Now that valley is leaking into my attic. There is a specific spot where it is leaking and I need to temporarily divert the leak until the roofer can get here in 2 weeks. I have taken a 5 gallon bucket and cut a hole in it and sealed a flex hose in it and drilled a hole into the gable to drain it. Looks like a pure redneck job...lol.. True to my roots I guess...

It worked yesterday when it rained... However, today the water wicked up the side of the rafter and rode it down a little farther before dripping off...

Can I coat the rafter with oil where I want it to drip or use silicone or something to keep it from going further down the rafter?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You fix a roof leak from the roof side, not the attic side.

As a temporary fix, get some 6 mm plastic sheets, cover the valley and over the ridge.
To keep the plastic from blowing over:
1. place 1x2x8 wood strips on the perimeters of the plastic and nail them down. Later you tar over the holes...or
2. place some sand bags or bricks to hold it down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks