Teflon tape

Users who are viewing this thread

KD

Reaction score
How many layers of teflon tape should you apply? I have been doing 4 layers. Also, I have seen plumbers use tape and teflon pipe dope on the same connection is this a good idea??

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
ked said:
How many layers of teflon tape should you apply? I have been doing 4 layers. Also, I have seen plumbers use tape and teflon pipe dope on the same connection is this a good idea??

4 is good.
The right way on threaded water connections is dope, teflon, dope.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many of the best plumbers on this form swear by various combinations of dope and tape. Personally, I use one or the other and honestly do not have issues with leaks, but I never argue with what works for someone else.

With the very thin white tape, 3 to 4 wraps is probably good. I mostly use the much heavier yellow tape for everything, gas and water, and 2 wraps of that is fine.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
ked said:

3-4 wraps is good and some pipe dope is also good for water lines. you don't need both one or the other is also fine.

I mostly use the much heavier yellow tape for everything, gas and water, and 2 wraps of that is fine.

Tape on gas lines:eek: I think you just gave a Ma. inspector a heart attack. Pipe dope is the only thing to put on gas lines. Nothing more nothing less.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Patrick, we adopted the nat'l fuel and gas code a few years back.
Yup, in theory we can use tape on gas.
I see it more and more on service calls for newer boilers & heaters.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I stand corrected my bad.
I guess i do things old school. I have questioned it about a month ago on a warranty swap out water heater that was about 6 months old. The gas lines were taped and my boss said guess they did not bother getting it inspected. taking the tape off was a real pain too.:(
Guess i will need to kick my boss:rolleyes:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I will inspect the threads on the nipple I am taping. The junk that is being imported sometimes has deeper than normal threads. I will use 5-6 wraps on those.

I had some recently that I had to toss because the threads were so deep that they never tightened up.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Want a super fast way to take tape off?? (I learned this from a hydraulic maintenance guy) Just blow compressed air across the threads (perpendicular to the pipe) and in a split second all the teflon is five feet away... Even works on threads with oil or whatever on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks