Teflon paste

Users who are viewing this thread

Leweezo

Reaction score
Just watched a YouTube video of a guy using Teflon paste in his joints (CPVC). I have never heard of Teflon paste and was wondering what you guys think of it
Thanks
Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
That could be a thread sealant (pipe dope) with PTFE such as http://www.rectorseal.com/rectorseal-t-plus-2/

That would be for threaded connections, and not glued connections.

pipe-dope-dope.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Leweezo

Reaction score
Yeah, I was away from home and thought "I should have typed threaded joints" LOL that would be a mess... Anyways. He was using it on top of Teflon tape. (he wrapped the thread in tape and then covered with paste) I have never witnessed anyone doing that before. Is that the correct way of using it? Reason why I ask is I am legally blind and can't read the itty bitty instructions.. Just want to make sure a 'YouTube guy" does not lead me to a disaster

Leweezo

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4.. I like better. My dad tells me I overkill (you should see the deck I built for our hot tub).. btter safe than sorry

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't over-torque when screwing into CPVC. That is a place to not overkill.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One advantage/disadvantage with using the stuff is that it is slippery and makes it smoother when tightening up a joint. It does make it easier to overtighten things, or at least get them tighter than needed, but, while it is rare (at least with a metal fitting), you could end up damaging things if you overdo it. As stated, though, if correctly applied, either the tape or paste should be all you need to make a reliable joint. The quality of the fittings on some things means the threads are not to spec, and then, having both can help overcome at least a small defect there.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have unconditional love for the Teflon paste even though I use it for most things. It doesn't have a very smooth texture like Rector-seal. It's more like grits on a doorknob, but it'll wash out of your jeans better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks