Tee vs Wye Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dxtr

Reaction score
Hi there!!

I am facing the following problem: We just moved and after shaving one day, I realize that when I drained the water from the guest bathroom sink, the water was coming up from the master bathroom sink. This was a shock as we recently renovated the house, and just moved in, also w had all of our pipes redone. My two bathrooms share a wall with the vanities essentially back to back, sharing the same drain pipe which is connected by a "T" shaped connector.

We had another plumber (not the one who installed our new pipes) out today as we originally thought we just had a clog. He mentioned that it's like the "T" shaped connector causing the issue and recommended it be changed to a "Y" shaped connector. Does that sound correct?

Also, just curious if a "T" shape connector is even up to code in California?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The fitting required for back to back OR double fixtures side by side is the same.
It is called a fig 5, or double fixture fitting. 2 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 1-1/2 in. ABS DWV All Hub Double Fixture Fitting is what a double lave should be in CA.
Home Depot erroneously calls it a double fixture "tee". It is not actually a tee.
A double sanitary tee is only allowed on vents, above the drainage level.
1663289231143.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without knowing EXACTLY what your piping configuring looks like your not going to get a very specific answer.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So rather than bust wall open and take a look see . was anything done to clear the problem? To many people the proper fitting posted in breplum comment looks like a tee but its a special fitting for the back to back application
Even with the wrong fitting it shouldnt clog by shaving . so even if plumber was an idiot and used wrong fitting come on it should drain did you run a santa clause beard down drain?
contractor or homeowner should have pictures of work , it could be 80 year old pipes under neath that are clogged.
many senarios perhaps fill in the blanks , good luck feel free to provide more info if you have other questions

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi there!!

This was a shock as we recently renovated the house, and just moved in, also w had all of our pipes redone.
For real? Including those drain lines in the slab?

I presume you have a clog, and the clog may be in the slab.

Even if you did have a dual sanitary tee, I think you would have described the behavior differently if that were the cause.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks