Tar around bathtub drain pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by thedayrock, Apr 14, 2019 at 5:36 PM.

1. thedayrock

thedayrock New Member

Cutting into slab to re-rout tub drain for shower and found tar down below near joints in the concrete slab.

Any input on what this is? House was built in late 70s in Houston.

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Broad-Wing Hawk

Retired
    If it is galvanized or copper, some felt that coating the metal pipe with driveway sealer or a tar minimized corrosion or electrolysis with the concrete. Another though is if Texas like Florida may have termite protection layer sprayed down before the concrete is poured. Perhaps at the time and available treatment chemicals, this was a way to provide a barrier from termites working up into the home around the pipes. In 2009 while our church was being built in Wellington Florida, the electrician coated all metal conduit elbows that came up from under the slab through the concrete. I asked and he stated to prevent corrosion.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. thedayrock

thedayrock New Member

Thanks for the feedback. It is PVC pipe but we do have a lot of water and termites in Houston.

Is this something that needs to be retained? I need to move the p-trap.

5. thedayrock

thedayrock New Member

Can i remove the tar and connect new plumbing?

6. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Broad-Wing Hawk

Retired
    Yes. cut back to get to clean pipe and add as you need.

7. thedayrock

thedayrock New Member

Just messy and stinks? No other concerns? Noob question.