Tar around bathtub drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

thedayrock

Reaction score
Cutting into slab to re-rout tub drain for shower and found tar down below near joints in the concrete slab.

Any input on what this is? House was built in late 70s in Houston.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If it is galvanized or copper, some felt that coating the metal pipe with driveway sealer or a tar minimized corrosion or electrolysis with the concrete. Another though is if Texas like Florida may have termite protection layer sprayed down before the concrete is poured. Perhaps at the time and available treatment chemicals, this was a way to provide a barrier from termites working up into the home around the pipes. In 2009 while our church was being built in Wellington Florida, the electrician coated all metal conduit elbows that came up from under the slab through the concrete. I asked and he stated to prevent corrosion.

thedayrock

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. It is PVC pipe but we do have a lot of water and termites in Houston.

Is this something that needs to be retained? I need to move the p-trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks