Tapping Into Main - Anything to Consider?

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I've owned this house for just over a year and I'm slowly trying to correct the hackwork left behind from the previous owner.

The house is one floor built on a slab (in FL). At some point, there was a slab leak, so the house was replumbed with CPVC through the attic. It's a mess and clearly was not done by a plumber.

Lots needs to be addressed but most pressing is a CPVC supply that crosses the attic and exits the soffit to the exterior of the house. There is a huge bow in the CPVC as it exits the soffit and it's a failure waiting to happen. This line supplies a homemade (hackwork) irrigation system, two hose spigots and a drip irrigation system. This line bypasses the water softener.

I want to tap into the main (it's PVC) just at it exits the meter and bring a buried 3/4" Sch 40 PVC supply around to the spigots/manifold. The meter is on the other side of a concrete driveway. I've found a guy who does contract work for the local utilities and has a "missile bore" so we can get the new PVC supply under the driveway.

It seems straight forward but before we start digging, I want to make sure there is nothing I'm overlooking.

All constructive comments are appreciated.

TIA.

Tipsy

supplyg.jpg

supply2.jpg

supply3.jpg

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good but i would do three things

First check for your frost line in your area this is how deep the ground is likely to freeze in a 100 year winter and get below it or at the minimum at
least 18" deep this helps prevent gardeners from hitting while doing spade work

Second i would run a copper tracer wire in the same trench you never know
many years in the future when you might want to trace it before putting in
a in ground pool ? Or some reason you might just want to dig up your yard without hitting or breaking your PVC pipe !

And third be sure to install a good quality valve where you tee off main so you can shut line down in the future without having to shut down whole house !
while you make repairs
which is not fun in summer when people need water to drink etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The tracer seems easy enough. I was planning to go 12" deep. I'll see how hard the digging is. If it's not too bad, deeper can only be better.

Dumb question but is any kind of back-flow preventer required? If so, where would it need to be installed?

Tipsy

Wallskev

Reaction score
I believe that in all states, a tap into the main water source requires a Back-flow-Preventer. The type, location, and configuration does vary.

In that you are provide a source to a non potable use (irrigation) I believe you should have it.

I belive Florida does require sucha s ssytem to prevent a cross-connection between a public water system or consumer’s potable (i.e., drinking) water system and any source or system containing nonpotable water or other substances. An example of a cross connection is the piping between a public water system or consumer’s potable water system and an auxiliary water system, cooling system, or irrigation system.

Search the web based on your location. example attached: http://www.stcloud.org/index.aspx?NID=650

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
First CPVC can not be exposed to UV light. Pipe covering will solve that problem. You will also need a PVB back flow preventer and it has to be tested yearly. As far as running the line under the driveway, we have had very good success with washing the line under drive way. This is done by hooking a length of 3/4" PCV to a garden hose and pushing the line under the driveway. The soil down her is very sandy with no rocks.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
line

1. EVERY irrigation system MUST have an approved backflow preventer when it is connected to a potable water supply.
2. Plastic water lines typicaly must be buried a minimum of 18" below the surface.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
First CPVC can not be exposed to UV light. Pipe covering will solve that problem. You will also need a PVB back flow preventer and it has to be tested yearly. As far as running the line under the driveway, we have had very good success with washing the line under drive way. This is done by hooking a length of 3/4" PCV to a garden hose and pushing the line under the driveway. The soil down her is very sandy with no rocks.

John

I'll research and purchase the necessary backflow preventer. I initially called an irrigation company for a quote to get the line under the driveway. They do something similar to what you suggest...using a water jet to create a void. I'm not too keen on this technique as it can result in the concrete cracking if the void is too large. The missile bore is mechanical and creates a well defined bore. The guy with the missile bore also has a utility conduit that 3/4" Sch 40 will fit nicely inside. This will help to prevent washout in the future should the line ever leak.

Once the PVC is routed, I'll either replace the existing CPVC with PVC or get it covered to protect it from UV. It's the crazy bow in the line that weighs on my conscience. I really want to get that out of the equation.

Tipsy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks