Tapping a drain line "against the grain"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan Curry

Reaction score
I'm installing a new toilet and shower in a confined area. I'm cutting an existing slab to accommodate the new drain/water lines and have some obstructions preventing me from tying the 2" shower drain into my 3" drain line in any other way than against the direction of flow. Is this a problem? Does my Wye have to align with the slope of my 3" drain line? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Ryan Curry

Reaction score
defikne "against the flow" because that could have more than one meaning and some definitions, but very few, would be legal.
My tie-in ran "upslope" of the sewer line, but I decided that wasn't best practice after reader the link that wjcandee posted. I reconfigured my setup so everything ties-in inline. Thank you for the responses!

sirbOOmdotcom

Reaction score
If we were talking about just liquids and just a urinal sudden burst, not continuous flow of water, maybe (if you were a risk taker and wanted to fail your plumbing inspection). But since we're talking about a shower drain (continuous flow) and poo poo toilet, let's just say you don't want your logs to "log up" the drain pipe for all upstream drains. That'd be a sh*tty situation. Can I get an amen?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks