Tankless Water Heater Selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Reicherb

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace an old 40 gallon tank. We are a family of 4 with 2 soon to be teenagers and have 3 full bathrooms. The Takagi T-H3-DV-N looks to be right sized and a great value. Are there other options to consider?

Thanks.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Do you have gas plumbing and a meter/service big enough to support a 199K burner?

In most houses that would require a dedicated 1.25" gas line from the tankless to as near the meter's regulator as possible. Most 40 gallon tanks have a 3/4" line.

What is the capacity of your meter, and how much BTUs is it suporting for other appliances, total?

Since you're replacing the boiler, a better bet would be to install a 40-50 gallon indirect water heater operated as the "priority zone" off the boiler. The CGa-3 puts out about 2x as much heat as the burner on a typical 40 gallon water heater- after a shower the tank will have recovered by the time you're dried off and dressed. Giving the water heater priority puts off any calls for heat from the heating zones until it's satisfied, but unless you're running 5 or more back-to-back 12 minute showers with ZERO time between showers it's never going to be a comfort issue.

Pulse

Reaction score
I was looking at the Noritz EZ111, has a 25 year warranty on the heat exchanger

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks