Tankless water heater attic venting

Users who are viewing this thread

chuckd83

Reaction score
I'm replacing a 40 gal. tank water heater in the attic. I'd rather not have to move the old one down and lug a new one up the drop down ladder. So I'm thinking of installing a tankless one. 2 bathrooms, kitchen sink, dishwasher, and washing machine.

The old tank water heater is vented through the roof. I measured the opening and it's 9 inches through the roof and the pipe is about 3 1/2" outside diameter.

Is there a tankless water heater on the market where I can use the existing venting? I know it requires more air intake, but the attic has two large gable vents on either side.

Thanks for any help.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm replacing a 40 gal. tank water heater in the attic. I'd rather not have to move the old one down and lug a new one up the drop down ladder. So I'm thinking of installing a tankless one. 2 bathrooms, kitchen sink, dishwasher, and washing machine.

The old tank water heater is vented through the roof. I measured the opening and it's 9 inches through the roof and the pipe is about 3 1/2" outside diameter.

Is there a tankless water heater on the market where I can use the existing venting? I know it requires more air intake, but the attic has two large gable vents on either side.

Thanks for any help.
I'm pretty sure you can but you would need to have something made up with flashing to make it leak proof. I've never heard of a hot water tank in an addic. If I was you I would hire a company to do all the moving for you. Tank less are pricey unless your installing it your self

Themp

Reaction score
My neighbor had a small 40 gallon gas water heater in his crawl space. It failed and he was told that no one makes a small one any more to fit. His options were an electric or a tankless gas in his crawl space. He went with the tankless gas and it has been a pain for him. If I were you I would replace the one you have and not go tankless. If you do not want to bring the old one down, then just move it to the side somewhere in the attic.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score

Thanks for any help.

NO ! to take care of that size of house you would need at least a 6" vent though the roof,
with a deadcaed 3/4" gas pipe coming from the gas meter,
you are looking at at least $2000,00 for the proper size heater anything less and you will not get enough hot water to run more then one fixture at a time

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the distance to the gas meter, you may need a 1" gas line (depending on the on-demand, tankless unit). Most of those have electronics in them and probably won't like the summertime attic temperatures, either. I can see the potential space savings to putting one in the attic or maybe the garage, but since both of those locations are usually not heated or cooled, they pose the possibility of freezing in many parts of the USA (maybe Hawaii excepted). A tankless system may have freeze protection logic built-in, but it's not like a tank that is full of hot water...it is essentially 'off' and cold when no demand. If your power goes off during a storm, no hot water, no freeze protection. A typical gas WH will still make and keep the water hot.

chuckd83

Reaction score
Thanks all. Upgrade gas line and venting. :( I guess I'm left with coming up with a way to get the old one down and the new one up without breaking my back.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A new water heater is at least 130 lbs. and 2 strong dudes may be able to lift it up.

Advice: 1. Empty and remove the old one first.
2. Raise the new one and fill in the water when it's installed.
3. Replace the flex pipes or at least the washers, gas flex and perhaps the gas valve. Shut off valve - it it's leaking.
I assume you knew those.

BTW, placing a water heater in an attic, in places like TX, NM, AZ, CA is a way to enjoy hot water for free most of the time.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
A new water heater is at least 130 lbs. and 2 strong dudes may be able to lift it up.

Advice: 1. Empty and remove the old one first.
2. Raise the new one and fill in the water when it's installed.
3. Replace the flex pipes or at least the washers, gas flex and perhaps the gas valve. Shut off valve - it it's leaking.
I assume you knew those.

BTW, placing a water heater in an attic, in places like TX, NM, AZ, CA is a way to enjoy hot water for free most of the time.
Placing a hwt in an attic seems like a stupid idea to me

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks