Tankless Water Heater and Dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Beverley

Reaction score
I had a tankless water heater installed recently. My dishwasher is shutting down mid cycle because the water coming in is not hot enough due to the delay in heating the water initially. This must be a common problem as tankless systems get more popular. Any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
This would be an unfortunate work-around: run a little hot water from the kitchen faucet when doing dishes?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
There isn't really any way to make the ignition delay short enough to deal with water-sipping appliances that take it in ultra-short burst such as dishwashers and many new clothes washers. The short-cycling of the tankless for tiny draws isn't really great for efficiency either, cutting into the potential energy savings of a tankless.

Installing a recirculation loop would guarantee that water arriving at the dishwasher would always be hot enough, at the cost of more abandoned heat in the distribution plumbing.

Installing a local 1-2 gallon point-of-use electric water heater would work too (taking the tankless out of the equation), at the cost of the water heater's standby loss. High efficiency dishwashers use about 3-4 gallons per load, but in multiple draws, with enough time between draws for even a 1200-1500 watt 1-2 gallon water heater to recover.

For a high efficiency clothes washer it might take 3-4 gallons of local water heater- you'd have to look up the specs on the washer in question.

B. John Henley

Reaction score
I had a 2.5 gal point of use heater tank installed underneath kitchen sink to supply faucet and dishwasher. I never had the same issue you described, but can imagine the point of use heater would be a good fix for you. The 2.5 gal tank is supplied by the hot side from the main house tankless water heater so recovery is quite quick.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This, along with trying to get warm water on a low-flow faucet, are one reason why I do not particularly like tankless systems. Their initial cost, regular maintenance, and dearth of qualified technicians means you really have to want one. Yes, they do work for some people, and for many, they love them. They are not always the least expensive option.

Stuff

Reaction score
If shutting down does that mean it is then heating the water itself or aborting the wash cycle?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks