Tankless water heater. Abandoned by plumber

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by Tony Fowler, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Tony Fowler

Tony Fowler New Member

We just had a Navien 240A tankless water heater installed to replace 2 conventional water heaters. Plumber said he would be connecting recirculating line to help speed hot water to far end of house that used to be on its own tank water heater.
    After he got all the piping done he said he still needed to come back and program the system.
    Now it’s been over a week and I can’t get him to respond to me either txt or picking up the phone.
    If all that is needed is programming, maybe I can do it with some help from this forum?
    I’ve attached pictures of plumbing coming into Navien. It does not look like an external line is coming in like I’ve seen in other pics. Although there is a T-connection returning to the hot water line and I don’t know what that is (3rd pic).
    Reviewing the manual I turned the internal pump on with valve to internal and 1st dip on. However, this only circulates water in Navien so still long wait (3min or so) to get even warm water to far end. Did plumber pipe this right?

BC795081-018E-4D0E-AB68-C29DDB22420F.jpeg A3FA9A48-B29B-4D03-89DF-1E376A4E29BA.jpeg 35864451-99EF-4E50-96B8-A24FB5924768.jpeg

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    For home hot water recirculation to work, there must be a return path back to the WH. That means either a dedicated line coming back in, or special cross-0ver valve(s) at the furthest points that then use the cold line as the return. When using hot water, that return path needs a check valve, otherwise, you'll be pulling water through both the return and the main hot supply.

There's not enough detail shown to know what type of system you have.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I suspect that was not done by a plumber. Most plumbers don't use the Sharkbites so much.

Sylvan likes this.
  5. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

The Recirculation Water Supply fitting on the bottom of the NPE240A remains capped, signifying there is no recirculation return line currently connected to the WH. Here is the diagram showing Navien's recommended connections for a dedicated return line:

[​IMG]

Below is the diagram showing Navien's recommended connection when using Navien's NaviCirc thermostatic recirculation cross-over valve which will allow the home's cold water plumbing to be utilized as a return line when there is no dedicated return line possible. Notice the placement of the check valve located on the Domestic Water Supply inlet.

[​IMG]

Once a return line is installed, the appropriate settings for External Recirculation are as follows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Sylvan likes this.
  6. Tony Fowler

Tony Fowler New Member

Thanks for the replies. Ugh... sounds like I have been left with more than just programming not complete.

7. Tony Fowler

Tony Fowler New Member

That does not make me feel good. Maybe just not a very good plumber or one predisposed to short cuts.
    ]

8. FDNY/RETIRED

FDNY/RETIRED Member

Retired Lt FDNY/EMS
    My thoughts exactly though I can't say anything bad about them. I used ball cock shark bites and a couple of 90's ant T's to add a slant/fin to my 2nd zone. From another room upstairs into to my garage. To keep some pipes warm for the winter. Also thought it would help with short cycle in that zone, by adding more element. Just seems like someone didn't like or know how to solder. I bet you paid in full and he said he be back?

Attached Files:

9. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Why he used cpvc instead copper? Id like to see the venting inside and outside termination. if outside termination is done wrong your unit may survive 5 years

10. GLekter

GLekter New Member

We had a problem with clogged sewers. While we were at work, our daughter decided to clean the cat's litter box. But she was too lazy to take out the trash and threw everything in the toilet. And it's clogged up. I was afraid that the blockage would interfere with the neighbors and immediately called the master. A friend recommended a company whose services she has already used, and the masters can get any such blockages fixed. The plumber after the work warned us not to throw the filler in such volumes into the toilet. You can also consult with professionals or find out from your friends/colleagues who installed their water heater.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Sylvan likes this.
  11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

To post a new topic, Click Forums in the upper left, and select the
    appropriate forum.
    Then click "Post New Thread" (blue button) on the right above the existing threads and below the search box.

izabella likes this.