Tankless water heater. Abandoned by plumber

Users who are viewing this thread

Tony Fowler

Reaction score
We just had a Navien 240A tankless water heater installed to replace 2 conventional water heaters. Plumber said he would be connecting recirculating line to help speed hot water to far end of house that used to be on its own tank water heater.
After he got all the piping done he said he still needed to come back and program the system.
Now it’s been over a week and I can’t get him to respond to me either txt or picking up the phone.
If all that is needed is programming, maybe I can do it with some help from this forum?
I’ve attached pictures of plumbing coming into Navien. It does not look like an external line is coming in like I’ve seen in other pics. Although there is a T-connection returning to the hot water line and I don’t know what that is (3rd pic).
Reviewing the manual I turned the internal pump on with valve to internal and 1st dip on. However, this only circulates water in Navien so still long wait (3min or so) to get even warm water to far end. Did plumber pipe this right?

BC795081-018E-4D0E-AB68-C29DDB22420F.jpeg
A3FA9A48-B29B-4D03-89DF-1E376A4E29BA.jpeg
35864451-99EF-4E50-96B8-A24FB5924768.jpeg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For home hot water recirculation to work, there must be a return path back to the WH. That means either a dedicated line coming back in, or special cross-0ver valve(s) at the furthest points that then use the cold line as the return. When using hot water, that return path needs a check valve, otherwise, you'll be pulling water through both the return and the main hot supply.

There's not enough detail shown to know what type of system you have.

Bannerman

Reaction score
There's not enough detail shown to know what type of system you have.

The Recirculation Water Supply fitting on the bottom of the NPE240A remains capped, signifying there is no recirculation return line currently connected to the WH. Here is the diagram showing Navien's recommended connections for a dedicated return line:

npe-recirc-flow-external.jpg

Below is the diagram showing Navien's recommended connection when using Navien's NaviCirc thermostatic recirculation cross-over valve which will allow the home's cold water plumbing to be utilized as a return line when there is no dedicated return line possible. Notice the placement of the check valve located on the Domestic Water Supply inlet.

index.php

Once a return line is installed, the appropriate settings for External Recirculation are as follows:
npe-recirc-flow-external-2.jpg

npe-recirc-flow-external-3.jpg

Last edited:

FDNY/RETIRED

Reaction score
I suspect that was not done by a plumber. Most plumbers don't use the Sharkbites so much.

My thoughts exactly though I can't say anything bad about them. I used ball cock shark bites and a couple of 90's ant T's to add a slant/fin to my 2nd zone. From another room upstairs into to my garage. To keep some pipes warm for the winter. Also thought it would help with short cycle in that zone, by adding more element. Just seems like someone didn't like or know how to solder. I bet you paid in full and he said he be back?

20201204_204422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
We just had a Navien 240A tankless water heater installed to replace 2 conventional water heaters. Plumber said he would be connecting recirculating line to help speed hot water to far end of house that used to be on its own tank water heater.
After he got all the piping done he said he still needed to come back and program the system.
Now it’s been over a week and I can’t get him to respond to me either txt or picking up the phone.
If all that is needed is programming, maybe I can do it with some help from this forum?
I’ve attached pictures of plumbing coming into Navien. It does not look like an external line is coming in like I’ve seen in other pics. Although there is a T-connection returning to the hot water line and I don’t know what that is (3rd pic).
Reviewing the manual I turned the internal pump on with valve to internal and 1st dip on. However, this only circulates water in Navien so still long wait (3min or so) to get even warm water to far end. Did plumber pipe this right?

View attachment 73069 View attachment 73070 View attachment 73071
Why he used CPVC instead copper? Id like to see the venting inside and outside termination. if outside termination is done wrong your unit may survive 5 years

Taylorjm

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly though I can't say anything bad about them. I used ball cock shark bites and a couple of 90's ant T's to add a slant/fin to my 2nd zone. From another room upstairs into to my garage. To keep some pipes warm for the winter. Also thought it would help with short cycle in that zone, by adding more element. Just seems like someone didn't like or know how to solder. I bet you paid in full and he said he be back?

Yup, except usually your only talking about 15psi for most boiler systems compared to 60psi for potable water. I know lots of people use sharkbites but with the ease of PEX now, unless you can't get a clamp tool in a spot, PEX is the better way to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks