tankless tolets

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You DO NOT. There is no way to make that conversion. And, since "tankless toilets" need a lot of water, your tank toilet does not have an adequate supply line to install a "new" tankless toilet either.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
You DO NOT. There is no way to make that conversion. And, since "tankless toilets" need a lot of water, your tank toilet does not have an adequate supply line to install a "new" tankless toilet either.

You know.....I considered taking a urinal adapter with the bolt slots and the 2" fip outlet and reducing the outlet to 1". To this 1" reduction pipe it through a vaccum breaker and finally to a 1" 80 psi water line. using a spud gasket and bolts attach this to a regular toilet bowl that would be used with a tank.

To use it just manually turn the 1" ballvalve on until the toilet flushes to your satisfaction. LOL

So think it would work?

Also heres an idea I wanted to run past you. Have you ever seen a toilet tank made out of a 5 gallon bucket? All the holes are drilled with a regular bit or a hole saw. Mount the parts in the bucket and bolt it up to a toilet bowl.

Ever seen anything like that?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toilets on submarines are flushed with manually operated ball valves (both supply and outlet), works great.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems to me this thread has gone into the "tolet". The only real answer to the original question was given by HJ. No, you can't convert a regular toilet to tankless. Tankless toilets require a large supply line that will furnish the necessary water for the flush since there is no storage capacity. The submarine analogy is interesting, but hardly applies to a home and probably not to a commercial facility either.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you replaced the toilet and have large enough supply lines, yes, you could use a tankless toilet. You could possibly also use a wall-hung toilet with a tank in the wall, or if you like Rube Goldberg, you could put in a big bladder tank somewhere with a 1" outlet and supply that to the toilet. Might work.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The limiting factor is of course, the size of the supply line. Residential homes do not usually have supply lines sized large enough, and retro fitting would be a very expensive proposition.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the towns around where I live figure your water base charge on the size of the supply line. One condominium I'm aware of was built with sprinklers, designed around 2" pipes! As a result, the complex is charged a significantly larger base price (before they actually use any water) for the potential demand. Many homes do not require such a large supply, but all tankless toilets require a large volume of water instantly. As said, if you installed something like a well water storage tank that had at least a 1" outlet, and ran that to the toilet, it would have enough volume to flush the toilet...lots of trouble for minimal gain. A good gravity flush toilet will work as well, and if you're looking for a wall-hung, that's not a problem. But, the bowl must be designed for the supply.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yeah here its basically the same way. The minimum monthly bill for a 5/8" meter is cheaper than the minimum bill for a 1" water meter. They charge a premium for the 1" meter and above.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Toilets on submarines are flushed with manually operated ball valves (both supply and outlet), works great.
The ball valve is full port 4", so you can really plug that bad boy! We used globe valves, though, not ball valves, to run some flushing water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Have you ever seen a toilet tank made out of a 5 gallon bucket? All the holes are drilled with a regular bit or a hole saw. Mount the parts in the bucket and bolt it up to a toilet bowl.

Sounds like something you heard about but never actually saw. Unless it was an "oval" bucket, you would have to work around the bucket to sit on whatever part of the seat that was till visible.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
quote; Have you ever seen a toilet tank made out of a 5 gallon bucket? All the holes are drilled with a regular bit or a hole saw. Mount the parts in the bucket and bolt it up to a toilet bowl.

Sounds like something you heard about but never actually saw. Unless it was an "oval" bucket, you would have to work around the bucket to sit on whatever part of the seat that was till visible.

I have it in my garage. It's an everyday 5 gal bucket. The bucket takes the place of the tank.....it does not block any part of the seat.

Maybe I'll post it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks