Tankless+Tank combo

Users who are viewing this thread

gwtach

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm going to be installing an electric tankless heater, and in order to save water and avoid the cold water sandwich I will put a small tank heater under the kitchen sink. It will also feed my shower which is conveniently located in the wall next to the sink. I'm in western Washington state, looking at the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24, which only provides 3.1gpm in cold conditions, plus a 2.5 gal Rheem tank heater. We only have one bath, kitchen w/dishwasher & laundry. Laundry would be getting water direct from tankless, and the Rheem would only feed the kitchen & bath. Here are my questions:

1- Where in the chain do I put the expansion tank?
2- I think we can manage with that gpm as long as we don't shower while running laundry. Do you agree or should I size up one of the units?
3- Are these brand choices good?
3- Is it worth putting a passive storage tank at the front of the chain so cold water can sit in a warmer space (basement) before entering the unit? If so can you recommend a tank/brand?

Thanks

flexcon-ph1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks