Tankless placement outside bedroom wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

petunia44

Reaction score
I have a contractor building a master bed/bath addition on my house, plan was for a tankless unit installed just outside the 36" minimum near the bathroom window. First off, is 36" enough to avoid any fumes coming back in the house? Single story, heater would sit under an eave. The other option is to move it further down the wall, but then it will end up just on the other side of the wall from our headboard. But no windows there. Will we hear it firing up when in bed? Thanks!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Some tankless blowers are louder than others (look for it in the spec sheets- maybe it's there, usually not) and some walls are more soundproof than others. (A brick veneer outside a plywood sheathed 2x6/R20 wall is a lot more soundproof than an clapboard sided uninsulated 2x4 wall with no wall sheathing, just a sheet of tarpaper.) If you can easily hear traffic through the wall on that side you'll probably be able to hear the tankless running at full-fan/high-fire, but it's not usually bothersome levels of noise.

Clearly moving it away from the window would be the best bet for minimizing the uptake of exhaust. They're not silent, but not real screamers by any means.

I have an older Takagi tankless mounted in a basement about 10' laterally from my bed, vented directly out the side about 6' from my bedroom window. I can hear it if there is no wind, and there is no other noises (traffic, birds, etc). It's somewhat louder than the sound of the refrigerator coming on 2 rooms away in the house, but not by much. Were it not for the window I'd probably not be hearing it at all unless actively listening for it through the floor.

petunia44

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion Dana. I will have a look at the spec sheets, we haven't picked a model yet. The wall is 2x6, insulated, with stucco, so maybe we'll be ok.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Stucco is pretty rigid and sound-reflective, and the wall probably has plywood sheathing too. It would have to be an amazingly loud tankless to be able to hear it through the wall without a stethoscope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks