Tankless in-line with indirect DHW

Users who are viewing this thread

Fitter30

Reaction score
Any commercial water heater is big dollars vrs residential. 2 -3/4" pipe size heaters piped reverse return have more pipe area than 1- 1" pipe size water heater tank style.

merim123

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses. I do appreciate it. The Weil indirect tank I have is 80 gal I believe. Next step up is 120 gal and that is 7k for a tank. I reached out to armstrong for a recommendation on a recirculator system. i may try that. It'll be less than 1k to put in and I can go from there and see what is next. I'd hate to just drop the indirect and go directly to a tankless or tank, but I may if I have to. House was built in 2008. So it has whatever epa wanted from that time.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses. I do appreciate it. The Weil indirect thank I have is 80 gal I believe. Next step up is 120 gal and that is 7k for a tank. I reached out to armstrong for a recommendation on a recirculator system. i may try that. It'll be less than 1k to put in and I can go from there and see what is next. I'd hate to just drop the indirect and go directly to a tankless or tank, but I may if I have to. House was built in 2008. So it has whatever epa wanted from that time.
Two things to remember the flue size and gas line / meter size with larger or multiple heaters.

merim123

Reaction score
thanks for all the responses. The Indirect tank I have is about 4k. one size bigger is 7k. I reached out to armstrong to see if I can use their recirculator in my system, worth a try for less than 1k and I had one at an previous home and really like how they work. So going to add one to this system as well.

On a separate note, my HTP is showing an error 61. Could be the fan or the control board. Anyone have a good place I can order this parts online? Not sure if related to my issues or not but want the boiler to be optimised.

Also, house built in 2008. So has whatever EPA wanted at that time in terms of flow. Lots of Hans Grohe/Rohl fixtures.

merim123

Reaction score
Two things to remember the flue size and gas line / meter size with larger or multiple heaters.
luckily this house has a 2" gas pipe and larger meter and flue size shouldn't be a constraint as i can direct vent out side of the house (about 6') so I have room.

merim123

Reaction score
you suggesting something like this?
1675199944818.png

merim123

Reaction score
I talked to the armstrong PE. he had an interesting suggestion of putting a tankless feeding the tank vs the way I was thinking. But I think I will try their recirculator first and maybe this in parallel to see if it would help.

Attachments

• 1675202581528.png
    1675202581528.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 60

JRGasAndWater

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks