Tankless HW Heater and High Efficiency Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

purcjn02

Reaction score
My husband and I would like to install a tankless hot water heater in our home, but we are concerned that it may affect our high efficiency washing machine (LG WM2016C). The washing machine takes in water in short spurts, and we're wondering if the tankless hot water heater will not be able to heat water up fast enough.
Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any recommendations?
Julie

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know for sure about the washer, I expect it might be a problem. I would urge you to reconsider the whole tankless heater idea. These are expensive to install, expensive to maintain, and often can not supply sufficient hot water in the winter if you live in a cold climate. If this is a gas unit, you may find your gas supply is not large enough and so you will have to have a new line run in and new meter. If it is electric, it may require an new, larger electric service. It has been reported many times that over a long period of time, the conventional water heaters cost less. I know the hype the tankless heater sales folks give you make it sound like this is the only way to go. but this is a vocal minority.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It takes a tankless a moment to respond to the detected flow, so depending on how long the burst is, it is likely to end up being cold water when you expected hot. Also, the frequent on/off cycles probably aren't the greatest thing for it either. Ever notice a light bulb almost never blows after it is on, but in the act of coming on? Often, this is true for any electrical thing.

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
You mean you are still using hot water for washing? I haven't heard of anyone doing that for years.

The only good reason is if you are washing childrens clothes. It disenfects them.

To the OP:
If you are gonna install a tankless hw heater, you'd want a small holding tank that keeps the water hot as well. That to me would make the most sense if you are worried about keeping the water hot. Insulating hot water lines would help as well.

As stated above, you may have to run a larger diameter gas line/meter or if its electric, have your service upgraded.

Another idea usually only used in large homes or commercial is installing a recirculation pump that keeps the hot water lines full of hot water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks