Tankless Heater Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

MrTelco1948

Reaction score
Installed a S.E.T.S. tankless heater about 10 years ago. Even though it's supposed to do a whole house, I only have it connected to the shower. It has worked great for all this time until a few days ago. During a shower, I heard a loud pop and then had COLD water! Upon examination, the outlet pipe from the heater had blown apart at a 90 degree elbow about 4 inches from the heater. I didn't think it was possible for the water to get hot enough to melt the solder. Could it have been a faulty solder joint even though it has worked fine for 10 years and never leaked? Any thoughts?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are correct in thinking water can not be heated hot enough to melt solder. The joint must have been faulty. I had a joint separate on my main supply line and shut off valve once. It wasn't 10 years old, but it was at least 3 or 4 years old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks