Tankless flush question

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by frog_dude, Jan 26, 2020.

1. frog_dude

frog_dude New Member

I have a Rheem ECO180DVLN3 tankless hot water. It doesn’t have the service valves installed so I’m thinking it wasn’t serviced for approximately 4-6 years. I was looking to get the service valves installed but the Plummer said it is possible when I flush the unit it might start leaking. Some other options were to install a filter and don’t flush it or leave it as is. I’m thinking what is my best option at this point.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Flushing removes deposits from the heat exchanger. Deposits decrease heat transfer and add restriction.

A filter won't remove deposits.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    They're designed to be flushed. You can install the kit and get it flushed if you're having issues. Whether you need flushing at this point depends on water quality where you are.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. Dana

Dana In the trades

Dang, Terry, what's in the water that YOU'VE been drinkin' & bathin' in? :) (Or was that get up what you wore for Halloween? )

Flushing won't cause a leak unless the anti-lime agents uses are significantly more acidic than specified by the manufacturer. White vinegar is usually strong enough (and never too strong).

In extremely rare instances a heat exchanger can theoretically have a leak that is sealed over by lime deposits and begins leaking when de-limed, but if it's that far gone it needs replacing anyway. That's not too rare for embedded tankless coils in space heating boilers, but I've never heard of a clear instance of that happening with a tankless water heater.

6. JOE.G

JOE.G New Member

I flush mine every year for the last 10 Years, I used white vinegar the first 8 years and haymaker the last two years. I flushed mine last sunday and when I was done I had a leak out of the heat exchanger. Navien was great and sent out a new one over night. I will still flush mine yearly but just know that it can happen.