Tankless Electric

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a customer who wants an electric tankless water heater. On the wall outside his front door, (fourth floor condo) he has a disconnect. The main on this disconnect is two conjoined breakers each labeled 100. The age of this panel predates my foray into the world of wiring, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Does he just have 100amps of juice available?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not into electrical, except to know that any tankless electric will require a panel upgrade.
A standard tank water heater heats with a 4500 watt element. Tankless needs much, much more than that.

I installed a tankless electric for a winery, but they also brought in more power, just for the tankless.

tankless_electric_chart.jpg

In Washington State I'm looking at a temperature rise of 70 degrees. It takes a heck of a unit to do much more than wash your hands in luke warm water.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not into electrical, except to know that any tankless electric will require a panel upgrade.
A standard tank water heater heats with a 4500 watt element. Tankless needs much, much more than that.

I installed a tankless electric for a winery, but they also brought in more power, just for the tankless.

Thanks, Terry. Didn't mean to jerk you around, but I put the tankless in five years ago for this guy (dude from Ireland), and it works fine for him. He has a 1 BR unit and has minimal demand on the water heater. I installed another one for him in a rental unit, same 1BR set-up, in the same complex. I asked him about the original install, expecting the worst. He said that if he runs three fixtures at the same time for a couple of minutes it kicks the main. He said he was happy with it. I give them the facts and let them decide.
I did one for a friend of his in a regular house. I got someone it to upgrade the panel before I installed the tankless.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
" He said that if he runs three fixtures at the same time for a couple of minutes it kicks the main. "

It kicks the main.....................

Also, you're in Georgia, where you can get by with a 35 degree rise.
In Seattle, I need 70 degrees.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
" He said that if he runs three fixtures at the same time for a couple of minutes it kicks the main. "

It kicks the main.....................

Also, you're in Georgia, where you can get by with a 35 degree rise.
In Seattle, I need 70 degrees.
70 degree rise. Unreal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
70 degree rise. Unreal.

Well, I see 35 degrees and think unreal. It's so disapointing to read the advertised ratings for tankless and realize I need to double the numbers for the frozen North. I almost sprang for two 199,000 tankless to run a multi head system. I have one tankless still in the box in case I change my mind.

This is also why I like to know where posters are living. It makes a difference for so many things. Even Washington State. The West and the East side of the state have different weather climates.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
How true. I had a helper one time who grew up in Key West. He said the tap water on the cold side comes out warm.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Many electric tankless heaters are "staged" so they do not pull their full amperage until the flow approaches their maximum, which is probably why it did not trip the main breaker until it was running for a while. With 100 amp mains, I would be surprised if he could dedicate much more than 40 or 50 amps to the water heater which would mean a very "wimpy" capacity.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
How true. I had a helper one time who grew up in Key West. He said the tap water on the cold side comes out warm.

We have Hot water here on the cold tap for awhile. Until the well water cools the pipes down.

The pipes in the attic get a bit warm.

When it gets really cold, It is like the water heater is broke.

Putting a tank-less on a 100A main panel is asking for trouble, and will most likely not pass inspection.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 200K BTU gas tankless verses an electric running on 240vac is about equivalent to a 244A load. Now, the electric is running close to 100%, and the tankless isn't, so maybe closer to 220A equivalent. Unless you go industrial, you probably won't find an electric tankless comparable to one of the more typical gas tankless units...power is power, whether you measure it in BTU or watts. As a result, you either get a much smaller delta T (temperature rise) out of it, or reduced flow. Think hand through the flame of a candle verses a blowtorch - you can achieve the same temp, but you'll have to run it through the candle flame a lot slower than if it were a blowtorch! A typical electric tankless is closer to a candle than a blowtorch! You either need really warm incoming water or a very low flow to make sense of an electric tankless system.

DonL

Reaction score
If you are running a cloths washer and dryer and a electric Tankless That Really Works on a 100 amp service , You will most likely be resetting the breaker.

A Good inspector will test that theory.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seriously, I tried the talk the guy out of it. Repeatedly. I felt like a squirrel doing that little zig-zag dance in the road. I finally relented and put the thing in. Main panel, 100 amps; subpanel, 120 amps.
After all's said and done, it works for him. Single guy, one bedroom unit. Never a problem. Good hot water on one fixture, very warm on two, barely warm on three. Kicks breaker if everything is turned on he says.

DonL

Reaction score
Seriously, I tried the talk the guy out of it. Repeatedly. I felt like a squirrel doing that little zig-zag dance in the road. I finally relented and put the thing in. Main panel, 100 amps; subpanel, 120 amps.
After all's said and done, it works for him. Single guy, one bedroom unit. Never a problem. Good hot water on one fixture, very warm on two, barely warm on three. Kicks breaker if everything is turned on he says.

Main is 100 and sub is 120 amp ?

You and him should not be playing with electricity.

Me Thinks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is it to code to have a subpanel with a larger main CB than the panel that is feeding it? I guess if the wiring between them was suitable for 120A, you could trip the main panel's main breaker before messing with the sub's main, but that just seems so wrong to me. Maybe done in anticipation of reworking the main at some time for more power in?

Will a main panel with a 100A service even allow a 120A breaker to be installed in one of its load slots?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Main is 100 and sub is 120 amp ?

You and him should not be playing with electricity.

Me Thinks.
You are right. I ought to be shot for that stunt, but the guy was persuasive and I kind of wanted to do one. Next one was for a family of four in a regular house and we bumped the service up to 200a from 150.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it to code to have a subpanel with a larger main CB than the panel that is feeding it? I guess if the wiring between them was suitable for 120A, you could trip the main panel's main breaker before messing with the sub's main, but that just seems so wrong to me. Maybe done in anticipation of reworking the main at some time for more power in?

Will a main panel with a 100A service even allow a 120A breaker to be installed in one of its load slots?
I had to pull one existing 15amp circuit into the subpanel to get the two slots for the big breaker. It's been years now, but I might have put a 100a in the main for the sub panel. Not sure anymore. Using a 125 would be even more pointless than the 100a. Specs called for three 40a breakers for the water heater.

Reaction score
Since you will not find a100 amp single pole breaker, the two conjoined breakers are actually a200 amp ge panel. Ive never ever heard, or repeated, that a tankless heater automatically requires a panel upgrade.....very comical. .....very

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you will not find a100 amp single pole breaker, the two conjoined breakers are actually a200 amp ge panel. Ive never ever heard, or repeated, that a tankless heater automatically requires a panel upgrade.....very comical. .....very
Well, that was my original question, Mac. I went into the job not knowing how much juice I had to work with. Assuming the worst, I told the customer that I wasn't sure his panel would push a tankless. He indicated that he would take the hit if it didn't pan out, so I went for it. He's happy with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks