Tank will not refill

Users who are viewing this thread

glassman

Reaction score
My tank will not refill. The tank is empty and I cannot hear any water entering into the refill valve. There is completely no sound of water flowing whatsoever. The valve from the water line in the wall is open. What can be happening?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cure is to purchase a new supply line and replace the one you have. Get the kind with the stainless steel braiding and make sure it is not a Flood Safe.

TedL

Reaction score
Short term fix, if it's a bad floodsafe, is to unscrew supply line from valve to relieve pressure, then reconnect.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That "short term fix" may work, but to do it you will have to do as much work as if you just go ahead and replace the flood safe which you will have to do anyway.

glassman

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. Interestingly, the tank refilled on its own after a few hours and now it works as if nothing ever happened. I will leave well enough alone for the time being.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You didn't say if there was water in the rest of the house...it may have been a water main break on the street...

TedL

Reaction score
That "short term fix" may work, but to do it you will have to do as much work as if you just go ahead and replace the flood safe which you will have to do anyway.

Absolutely true. But if someone's reading this at 10 pm and the only toilet isn't working, and they don't keep a stock of toilet supply lines on hand, they might appreciate a tip on how to get it functioning 'til they can do a real fix.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Absolutely true. But if someone's reading this at 10 pm and the only toilet isn't working, and they don't keep a stock of toilet supply lines on hand, they might appreciate a tip on how to get it functioning 'til they can do a real fix.

The funny thing is, when I first heard of the Floodsafe, I was thinking, what a great idea.
Then I got a call from a customer that had installed a new toilet, and the fill valve wasn't filling.
He was sure it was a defective toilet or fill valve.
The homeowner had installed his own toilet using parts from the hardware store.
It was a Floodsafe, and of course, it had shut off.
They can be reset by releasing the pressure, or disconnecting, and then reconnecting.
But for many fill valves, they just shut off.
The scary thing is the connection itself, there are some pictures the other plumbers posted that show that part breaking, and flooding the home.
I guess it has a weak link.

attachment.php

Will not work with TOTO

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
It's funny i get all the technical calls from our customer's customer and less than a week after reading one of these post on the floodsafe i got a call from a customer and it turned out that was the problem and I looked very smart (haha).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks